Do you want to help support HBC? You can contribute through e-transfer to marc@huntingbc.ca or via PayPal

Thread: Creosote stains on canvas

Creosote stains on canvas

So I was trying out a new tent stove and I am pretty happy with it overall. It was getting way to warm in the tent last week and so I had adjusted the front door air control vent to the min. I think the damper was also 3/4 closed. This resulted with considerable creosote build up. Once I opened the vent a little bit more, a bit of creosote started to drip on the tent due to the spark arrestor mainly being T shaped.

Hope the image link works.

I tend to leave it as it is, but was wondering if anyone tried to clean these stains? What did you use & results.

Thanks
    Hunting&Fishing (Member BCWF/CCFR/BHA)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Creosote stains on canvas

I used this on my last tent. Worked good for general stains, OK on creosote but will not completly remove it.

https://eskeroutdoors.ca/products/es...s-tent-cleaner
    Last edited by Ron.C; 09-24-2024 at 10:25 AM.

That is great. Thank you for the tip.

Going to try this. Ordered it just shipping hurts via Canada Post. Almost same product cost as shipping. It is what it is.
    Might not make it till next outing but appreciate your advice Ron. If I am letting it as is it would be difficult to store/handle without staining much further.

your tent won’t be made of Sunbrella, but should be the same for any canvas. Worth a try to scrape the majority of it off, if you can before cleaning it with the stuff you ordered ��*♀️

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9031.jpg  

Yeah. On a large tent there wasnt such a problem ever (US reliable tent brand which still runs great for more than 15 years). Mind you this is a different situation. I got this tent for when I go solo mainly and it is from a commercial site" with some mix of canvas and infused mainly inside with some "waterproof stuff". Going to remove the T shape end and use just a mesh at top. I have ordered the Esker but might not have the time to look about it soon enough due our busy times and weather. Would you think soap and water would remove creosote? Maybe the fabircs are similar as you mention. I dont know really. Going with Ron's suggestion at first and definitely get back with feedback once I get to that stage.

I work with canvas for a living. I build boat tops. It’s treated with chemicals for certain things. Mold and mildew resistance. Water resistance. I would at least try what the directions say. Try to add some corn starch and water or something similar and try to scrape the tar off with a sharp knife. If that doesn’t do anything, you can soak the canvas in a 5 gallon bucket with a cup of bleach in it. But this may be your end game. Try your tent cleaner first.
    soap and water won’t remove creosote. Try to remove as much as you can and then use the cleaner when you get it.

I am old enough to remember slapping creosote oil on wooden barns to preserve them. It was also used to make canvas more rot and water resistant. It worked really well, but is banned now a days. I would think it would help preserve the canvas. Removing it aggressively may shorten the life of your canvas as you likely will remove the other preservatives as well.

I've washed the back of my tent. The tents take use. When we are out in minus 30 with high winds, the creosote gets all over the back of the tent. Yeah, I've laid it out and washed it, but it doesn't all come off. I just stopped worrying about it.