Do you want to help support HBC? You can contribute through e-transfer to marc@huntingbc.ca or via PayPal

Thread: iPhone 14/15 GPS texting - anybody using this feature?

iPhone 14/15 GPS texting - anybody using this feature?

Having read all the zoleo vs garmin posts, I was super close to purchasing a garmin product for an upcoming solo hunt; however one last google search for ‘best gps texting options’ indicated that the newer iPhones (14 and 15 running the iOS 1 can text using gps…

My question has now become - maybe I should put the money I was going to spend on the garmin towards an iPhone 14?
    Cost wise, the info I am finding is saying this gps texting will be free for two years.

Just wanted to see if anyone out there is using their newer iPhone for gos texting, and if so; how is working out for you?

Thanks!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: iPhone 14/15 GPS texting - anybody using this feature?

I saw it pop up as an option the other day when I was trying to reply to a text and out of service. Didn’t try it though as I expected it to be $$

That would be awesome to have but myself when I'm in the woods and far away I like a stand alone unit, I have broken many phones over the years, they also use a lot of power compared to say an Inreach.

I tested it over the weekend, works very well and is currently free although that’ll probably change eventually. It sucks the life out of your battery though.

Here's my experience as both a hunter and an IT guy by trade.

I successfully used the feature three times this weekend, each time I was in a what I would consider steep terrain with a 30 degree above slice of open sky.

The instructions on the screen were easy to follow, although one of my co-workers was unable to establish a connection on his phone ( also a compatible model ). He later reported to me that he "did not point the phone at the sky, but had it laying flat in his hand". This was likely the cause of him not connecting. Basically, think of it as your camera needs to see the satellites and then the antennas are properly aligned.

I texted people who had and also had not upgraded to iOS18. Messages take 15-30 seconds to send, and an equivalent response time to return.

once I locked my phone and put it back in my pocket, the connection was terminated and I had to manually re-connect

Thanks for the replies - all great info to factor in.
    Have a great day!

I thought it was only able to be used for SOS and alerting emergency services in Canada?

can you actually full blown communicate with a hunting buddy while out of service ? That’s an absolute game changer.

Before I bought inreach mini I looked into it and was pretty certain only emergency services communication. Mabey that changed?

With the newest iOS update, satellite messaging is now available.