Do you want to help support HBC? You can contribute through e-transfer to marc@huntingbc.ca or via PayPal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are grazing cattle (crown land) dangerous?

Re: Are grazing cattle (crown land) dangerous?

was up near kamloops to do some looking around for end of the month hunt.... came upon cattle and was patient......after letting several walk into the bushes i slowly moved ahead...the last cow slowly started to walk away on the edge of the road....i could have gone around her but decided to wait til she was off the road..good thing cuz after a few quick steps she let out a side buck that would have hit my truck had i been trying to go around her...

So if you shoot someone's private property, something they rely on for an income because you feel threatened, you feel you should benefit from it?

That exact reasoning is why access to private land is so hard to get.

Quote Originally Posted by bwhnter View Post
    So if you shoot someone's private property, something they rely on for an income because you feel threatened, you feel you should benefit from it?
    and this is why I pay high premiums on my farm insurance

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Years a go while out for a hunt with my dad, I was just tagging along as back then there was no season for youths, you had to be 14 to legally hunt with an adult and I wasn't of that age yet.
    Where was that? Different province rules are always interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by bwhnter View Post
    There is a difference between shooting someone’s private property and protecting yourself. If your only remaining option is to shoot someone’s cattle to protect yourself and you have to pay for the animal then why shouldn’t you get to keep it?

So if you shoot a grizzly because you feel threatened you should be able to keep that as well?

So what makes the livestock not private property? The fact that you shot it or the act of you being scared of it?

So if I'm out on crown land and I find your camp and I feel threatened by it can I take it? Or do I have to shoot it first?

I am surprised this thread has made it to three pages. Honestly, I have run into range cattle while hunting for upland gamebirds and while fishing for trout. At this point in time, have not had a nasty run in with cattle. My advice if they bother you give them a wider berth. However, I can see them being an attractive food source for apex predators like wolves and grizzlies. With what has been happening in Alberta this fall with grizzlies coming in while hunters have been bugling for elk, this would be more concerning to me. And the population for bears is expanding both in BC and Alberta, regardless of the talk about controlling problem bears like grizzlies.