Thread: Jon boat VS V-hull

Jon boat VS V-hull

Starting to get serious about buying the first boat. Requirements
    • good for 3people min
    • used for duck hunting in the marsh, local lakes and possibly around the coastline here (delta, etc)
    • used for fishing on smaller lakes

When window shopping Marketplace and C-L, I come across both Jon boats and V-hulls.... could someone educate me on the pro-s and cons of both styles for the above usage?

Thanks for any input

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Jon boat VS V-hull

I have a 1650 Crestliner deep V and a 1852 Lowe jon. If you want 3 guys in there don't go smaller than 18. Especially if you are swinging guns around.
    Deep v is way better in the waves and safer and faster in rough water.
    Jon is great for smaller waters and room to move around. Way better for loading gear in and out and stepping or reaching out in marshes to pick up decoys.

I got a 15 ft g3 jon boat is all you need I hunt 5hree guy and a dog decoys is all you need use it for crabbing etc no problems I’m in delta also

I've got a Lowe 1756 Roughneck, they have a modified V that handles rough water ok but that saying, someone's experience with handling rougher water needs to considered.

I have a 14' lund deep v with a 30hp yamaha and I've had it stillwater fishing the interior, running up the fraser to the vedder, out on the ocean crabbing. I had 3 dogs and 4 people loaded with camping gear in it a few weeks ago and that was the limit. The 14' fills up fast though especially if you have 3 people min. I would try and find something 16' deep v nice and wide with a 50/60hp outboard type deal and then you can do anything.
    I'm a lead foot, whiskey drinkin' outlaw.

I've got a 14ft jon boat that I waterfowl out of. 2 guys,a dog and gear and she's full. Its a flat bottom jon and its suited to calm water.

I know one guy that had a 16' modified V jon and its awesome. Still not as good as a deep v in chop and bigger water but a massive inprovement over a flat jon, plus its very stable.

A Jon boat is very stable, has less draft, and more room to store gear and move around. Typically a v-hull has higher freeboard, cuts through chop better for a smoother ride at speed, and handles rough water much better than a Jon boat. If I had to choose one smaller aluminum boat it would be a 7’ wide 16’ aluminum with a 20-30 hp, but that size needs to be trailered. How do you plan to transport? I believe Jon boats are usually riveted and there are more options for smaller welded v-hulls that won’t break the bank, but someone else should chime in on that

Trailer only or on the truck? After a 150 lb even with a boat loader it starts to get difficult. All round modified V would be my first choice but if you plan on going far on big water go flat. I believe flat were a little less weight if I remember right the last time I was looking.

A trailer mod that I think even one should have is having the spare tire mounted on the reach so it rolls. Dad put it on his 1000 lb boat trailer 60 years ago, moving it around in the yard a breeze. But we could also hook on to the safety chain with rope or chain and roll it down and pull it up from some of the most ugly boat access you can think of. I've done this to every trailer since even my trailer for behind the quad.

Last edited by MRP; 06-20-2024 at 07:51 AM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

If you're shooting from the boat I wouldn't want to be the guy located in the front of a v-hull. Slanted floor! You want a flat platform to be shooting from, especially if it's wet and possibly slippery. I'd go jon boat all the way!
    He's NOT your buddy, buddy!