Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Re: Gitxsan Nation issues fishing ban notice, waters ministry refutes it

so sick of this sh#t

I got no issue with any FN, from what I’ve seen personally and people I’ve talked to, there is a lot of bands doing a lot of good work. Lots doing a hell of a lot more for fish and wildlife than our government. Unfortunately as with any group, especially when talking about hunters and FN, there are a few sh*theads that take the spotlight with there antics and overshadow a lot of the good things going on. Things like the Peace moose and Caribou debacle, many FN members are pissed about how that went down. Many FN and even outfitters are leading the charge trying to reinstate the grizzly hunt. The NDP, their UNDRIP and reconciliation agenda has done nothing but divide and create a hostile environment between stakeholders that at the end of the day want the same thing, what’s best for fish and wildlife. NDP are no different than the anti hunting extremist groups, keep everyone divided and infighting while pushing there agenda one small battle at a time until we are all weeded out.
    I was thinking about it last night, and I should probably retract my statements from earlier in this post until a person can get both sides of the story. I do not agree with the way Gitxsan nation has gone about this, but our government is not known for sound management and maybe lack of government action has forced Gitxsan to take things into there own hands in order to protect the resource? At the end of the day, all these decisions and measures like this are being taken because of poor resource management by government. We need to be looking at the bigger picture, instead of focusing on micro battles like this, between stakeholders, we should all be united and attacking where these problems originate, Victoria. More fish in the streams, more animals on the mountain and we don’t have this BS.
    Last edited by Bullreaper; 06-21-2024 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest the Land View Post
    Story doesn't say whether or not the Gitxsan themselves are going to adhere to their own fishing ban as well - that would've been nice to know. What's your best guess?

Do they think they rule over non-Gitxsan folks too?
    I'm guessing they will act like all the other self entitled FN's and not abide by their own regs. Let's hope they don't net the rivers like many do. Any group that does that should never be in charge of conservation, as those actions are the exact opposite...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullreaper View Post
    Insurance covers that. I’m not most guys, I like to stir the pot when it needs to be stirred. Getting a little tired of the BS we are facing in this province, whether it’s government or FN, I personally have always had good interactions with FN, although I’m aware of the horror stories. I think it’s time people start standing there ground and pushing back, a guy can only get stepped on so much.
    Exactly right....and they will learn quickly that many of us will only take so much then we will fight back...it they want a fight we will bring it to them, we can't be intimidated from doing what we love..

Well said! I want to be supportive within reason - but when I see the nets across the Fraser while no one else is allowed to touch the water because of low returns - I get a bit less supportive.

I got no issue with any FN, from what I’ve seen personally and people I’ve talked to, there is a lot of bands doing a lot of good work. Lots doing a hell of a lot more for fish and wildlife than our government. Unfortunately as with any group, especially when talking about hunters and FN, there are a few sh*theads that take the spotlight with there antics and overshadow a lot of the good things going on. Things like the Peace moose and Caribou debacle, many FN members are pissed about how that went down. Many FN and even outfitters are leading the charge trying to reinstate the grizzly hunt. The NDP, their UNDRIP and reconciliation agenda has done nothing but divide and create a hostile environment between stakeholders that at the end of the day want the same thing, what’s best for fish and wildlife. NDP are no different than the anti hunting extremist groups, keep everyone divided and infighting while pushing there agenda one small battle at a time until we are all weeded out.
    I was thinking about it last night, and I should probably retract my statements from earlier in this post until a person can get both sides of the story. I do not agree with the way Gitxsan nation has gone about this, but our government is not known for sound management and maybe lack of government action has forced Gitxsan to take things into there own hands in order to protect the resource? At the end of the day, all these decisions and measures like this are being taken because of poor resource management by government. We need to be looking at the bigger picture, instead of focusing on micro battles like this, between stakeholders, we should all be united and attacking where these problems originate, Victoria. More fish in the streams, more animals on the mountain and we don’t have this BS.

Regardless of this band’s motivation, the fact is they have no authority to impose
    laws or regulations on anyone, least of all 95% of the population who pay for and maintain all public infrastructure and services.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    Well said! I want to be supportive within reason - but when I see the nets across the Fraser while no one else is allowed to touch the water because of low returns - I get a bit less supportive.
    How about when they sell those netted salmon that you're not allowed to fish for, and for which they claim to only be fishing for them for "ceremonial" purposes - does that make you a little less supportive too?

Or how about when they lobby the court and government to cut moose tags and hunting opportunities for resident hunters in the Peace by 50% while they can continue to Harvest as many moose as they want 24/7 365 and refuse to report any harvest statistics - does that make you a little less supportive?

How about when they arbitrarily and illegally shut down Joffre Lake provincial park for a month and deny access to non first settlers in the middle of summer in order to protect their privacy and allow for "traditional" harvesting and spiritual activities (I. e. We can use the park but whiities can't, cause we said so) - does that make you a little less supportive? Or how about when they require whities to buy permits to go mushroom picking but the first settlers aren't required to get the same permits - does that make you a little less supportive?

How about when it comes to our two tiered justice system? More specifically with the catch and release policy afforded to the Citizens Plus where non first settlers aren't afforded the same benefit of the doubt. Heck in many instances where the penalties for crimes carry less than a 2 year sentence, citizens plus in many instances are allowed to avoid the justice system altogether and instead use these things called "sentencing circles" where the perpetrator almost always avoids jail time and/or avoids any charges. Imagine if non first settlers had access to a parallel justice system called sentencing circles and get off almost every time?

How about when you hear various first settler activists and leaders complain about the Indian Act and how its the root of a lot of their problems and how it needs to be abolished; and then learn that the federal government agrees and has tried to abolish the Indian Act since at least as far back as the 60's and that it has in fact been the leadership of the Aboriginal Industry who have officially rejected all attempts by the government to get rid of the Indian Act (largely in part because they don't want to give up their gravy train and don't want to have to begin paying taxes like the rest of us) - does that make you a little less supportive?

And so on and so on and so on.....okay, maybe I'm projecting a little bit here

Anyone who wants to learn more about the corruption, fraud, duplicity of the aboriginal industry there's a great book called "Disrobing the Aboriginal Industry" - its a real eye opener
    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it" - George Orwell

Yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest the Land View Post
    How about when they sell those netted salmon that you're not allowed to fish for, and for which they claim to only be fishing for them for "ceremonial" purposes - does that make you a little less supportive too?

Or how about when they lobby the court and government to cut moose tags and hunting opportunities for resident hunters in the Peace by 50% while they can continue to Harvest as many moose as they want 24/7 365 and refuse to report any harvest statistics - does that make you a little less supportive?

How about when they arbitrarily and illegally shut down Joffre Lake provincial park for a month and deny access to non first settlers in the middle of summer in order to protect their privacy and allow for "traditional" harvesting and spiritual activities (I. e. We can use the park but whiities can't, cause we said so) - does that make you a little less supportive? Or how about when they require whities to buy permits to go mushroom picking but the first settlers aren't required to get the same permits - does that make you a little less supportive?

How about when it comes to our two tiered justice system? More specifically with the catch and release policy afforded to the Citizens Plus where non first settlers aren't afforded the same benefit of the doubt. Heck in many instances where the penalties for crimes carry less than a 2 year sentence, citizens plus in many instances are allowed to avoid the justice system altogether and instead use these things called "sentencing circles" where the perpetrator almost always avoids jail time and/or avoids any charges. Imagine if non first settlers had access to a parallel justice system called sentencing circles and get off almost every time?

How about when you hear various first settler activists and leaders complain about the Indian Act and how its the root of a lot of their problems and how it needs to be abolished; and then learn that the federal government agrees and has tried to abolish the Indian Act since at least as far back as the 60's and that it has in fact been the leadership of the Aboriginal Industry who have officially rejected all attempts by the government to get rid of the Indian Act (largely in part because they don't want to give up their gravy train and don't want to have to begin paying taxes like the rest of us) - does that make you a little less supportive?

And so on and so on and so on.....okay, maybe I'm projecting a little bit here

Anyone who wants to learn more about the corruption, fraud, duplicity of the aboriginal industry there's a great book called "Disrobing the Aboriginal Industry" - its a real eye opener

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I am jaded with the idea of the Stewart's of the land looking after the wildlife management. When I am walking back to my truck after hunting moose, and am offered steelhead form the skeena system from a cooler in the back of the pick up, or at a hunting camp and offered steelhead that were just caught, both offerings from Stewarts of the land, i get worried!! Telling me, that I am not allowed to fish for my 2 spring salmon, that I have to catch with a baitless/barbless single hook, and they cannot be over 50cm, hmm!! Not sure how that competes with a fish wheel, a net across the river, or a commercial fishing vessel?? I can not fish for trout, grayling, or char in region 6 because I am threatening their source of feeding their families!! WTF am I supposed to feed mine?? I eat moose, fish, I forage for berries, wild edibles, why should I change my families values? Guess I am just privileged to pay for everyone elses Phuckin handouts!! Phuck me, but please use lube!!! moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"