Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gitxsan Nation issues fishing ban notice, waters ministry refutes it

Exclamation Gitxsan Nation issues fishing ban notice, waters ministry refutes it

Gitxsan Nation issues fishing ban notice, waters ministry refutes it

Season closed according to Gitxsan, feds disagree

The Gitxsan Nation has issued a fishing ban notice for the 2024 season, but provincial Ministry of Water, Land and Natural Resource Stewardship (WLNRS) rejects the notice.

The notice states that fishing is 100 per cent banned in the Babine, Bulkley, Nass, Kispiox and Skeena Rivers on Gitsxan lands. The main reason for banning recreational fishing was due to low waters because over-exposed spawning beds create overkill of stocks.

It also noted that catch and release runs contrary to Gitxsan law because it is "playing with fish" and fish are a food staple for Gitxsan people.

"Provincial fishing permits do not allow access to Gitxsan anaat (traditional fishing grounds) or laxyip (lands)," the notice states. "We kindly request you check your maps."

WLNRS followed up on the ban notice with a letter on June 7 stating recreational fishing is open in the Skeena River watershed. It also notes communities will be notified if in-season closures are necessary due to drought or low fish population this season.

It said the ministry shares the concerns of the Gitxsan and other communities about the drought conditions and potential impacts, but that salmon and salmon and steelhead are "important to B.C.'s economy, communities and wildlife."

It said the provincial fishing regulations were developed in consultation with First Nations and public and stakeholder engagement.

"We continue to work with the Gitxsan Laxyip Management Office to implement the Gitxsan Watershed Strategic Engagement Agreement," the letter said.

https://www.interior-news.com/local-...tes-it-7393573
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gitxsan Nation issues fishing ban notice, waters ministry refutes it

Catch and release considered harassment of fish? I suppose it could be, this won't go over great for the Steelhead guide industry.

Story doesn't say whether or not the Gitxsan themselves are going to adhere to their own fishing ban as well - that would've been nice to know. What's your best guess?

Do they think they rule over non-Gitxsan folks too?
    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it" - George Orwell

Arrow Re: Gitxsan Nation issues fishing ban notice, waters ministry refutes it

The feds are only mentioned in the click bait title.
    It is the province that disagreed, and there is no further mention of anything federal.
    Piss poor reporting...

The province will roll over on their backs back on this one.

UNDRIP after all...

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I wish I lived near there. I’d still go fishing.

Expect this to expand throughout the province, this is only a test.

Thumbs up Re: Gitxsan Nation issues fishing ban notice, waters ministry refutes it

Quote Originally Posted by bc7mm View Post
    Expect this to expand throughout the province, this is only a test.
    AbSoEfingLutely!!

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by Bullreaper View Post
    I wish I lived near there. I’d still go fishing.
    Of course. Until your truck tires get slashed. Then the next truck gets burned while you're on the water. Most guys won't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    Of course. Until your truck tires get slashed. Then the next truck gets burned while you're on the water. Most guys won't bother.
    Insurance covers that. I’m not most guys, I like to stir the pot when it needs to be stirred. Getting a little tired of the BS we are facing in this province, whether it’s government or FN, I personally have always had good interactions with FN, although I’m aware of the horror stories. I think it’s time people start standing there ground and pushing back, a guy can only get stepped on so much.
    Last edited by Bullreaper; 06-20-2024 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullreaper View Post
    Insurance covers that. I’m not most guys, I like to stir the pot when it needs to be stirred. Getting a little tired of the BS we are facing in this province, whether it’s government or FN, I personally have always had good interactions with FN, although I’m aware of the horror stories. I think it’s time people start standing there ground and pushing back, a guy can only get stepped on so much.
    I agree. It will only get worse if we let it.
    My buddy had water put in his diesel on the Kispiox. It wasn't first nations, it was other fisherman. Cost him a lot in money and peice of mind.