Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New higher fines for Poaching

Re: New higher fines for Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    It's economics 101~ $1495 fine if they catch you with a poached moose that will net you 500 lbs of meat. $6 lb for ground, works out to about $3000 worth of meat use the prices for prime steaks or tenderloins and that value is much higher! The odds of getting caught are slim to none since there is almost no enforcement, or at least very little. I know we have only been stopped once in 50 years while transporting game, and we weren't even trying to avoid being stopped.

The fines are a joke really.
    You beat me to it…
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Exactly. With the price of good meat these days, you’d be happy to pay $1,500 for a moose!
    Stop it, your talking me in to it, You guys are a bad influence.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I haven’t read the regs on poaching as it’s not on my “to do” list, but are they still not able to seize your vehicles etc that were used in the poaching act? Having even a ”cheap” truck seized these days is $5k minimum to replace, assuming it’s reliable enough to get you out to the animals. A 10 year old 4x4 is worth $15-20k these days (aside from domestic 1/2 tons), so that is a big hit for most people.

I don’t want to turn this into yet another politics thread, but there are a LOT of issues that could be solved with penalties that would deter criminals. Gun “control” would not even be (much of) a conversation if it were a 20 year mandatory sentence for using a firearm in commission of a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Stop it, your talking me in to it, You guys are a bad influence.
    Nah, just go vegan. It’s way better

These are the fines for the tickets that COs can had out and not the maximum fine under the Wildlife Act that can be imposed by a Judge. Those still can range in the multiple thousands of dollars if the court decides it’s a serious enough offence. Officers have to decide on which is appropriate for the situation at hand. A ticket or court appearance. Crown Counsel has the final decision on what goes to court. COs can’t seize your vehicle for other than evidentiary purposes to prove a violation. They can submit a request that it be included in the penalty assessed by the Courts n serious cases. The Judge can order it forfeited to the Crown if deemed appropriate. A Judge will rarely fine someone an amount in excess of their ability to pay the fine in a reasonable amount of time. Both Crown Counsel and Defence make submissions on this.

Thanks for the clarification Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    Sounds like a $1495 fine for getting rid of a Whiskey Jack that may be picking holes in your cheese cloth meat bags and letting flies in to destroy your hard work might be a little steep.
    The Whiskey Jack lives there all year, you're there for a week or two . . . double bag and leave him alone.
    Poaching fines are too low, the resource takes a sh!tkicking, 24/7/365 hunting for some folks.

Just throwing this out there.... YMMV

Institutional racism, also known as systemic racism, is defined as policies and practices that exist throughout a whole society or organization that result in and support a continued unfair advantage to some people and unfair or harmful treatment of others based on race or ethnic group.

A more effective policy would be to eliminate off season hunting based on race.

It could/likely be ALOT more than that depending how/where a person poached that moose. Not to mention losing the moose getting your gear seized, and other sentencing such as retaking CORE and losing hunting privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    It's economics 101~ $1495 fine if they catch you with a poached moose that will net you 500 lbs of meat. $6 lb for ground, works out to about $3000 worth of meat use the prices for prime steaks or tenderloins and that value is much higher! The odds of getting caught are slim to none since there is almost no enforcement, or at least very little. I know we have only been stopped once in 50 years while transporting game, and we weren't even trying to avoid being stopped.

The fines are a joke really.