PDA

View Full Version : Successful moose hunt in area 5

SSI Tikka
09-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Having just returned from Raven lake, (on the doorstep of the FN's proposed closed area) I am happy to report that,

#1 I was successful in harvesting my first moose after a few unsuccessful years.

And secondly, there was no sign of unrest or any blockades of ay sort by FN's in the area.

I was actually able to have a couple of "chats" with FN's and all in all it was a pleasant and happy experience sharing in what was a great time for all.

In my mind we all are after the same thing in the end, although I think that the tactics used by Chief Joe were a little drastic. Perhaps it's the ony way to get heard, in their mind.

All that aside, it was an effort to say the least as there minimal animals spotted and only 2 that were on the menu, so there is an issue there.

On a side note I would like the opinions of members here that have far greater experience than myself when it comes to ammo.

I shot my moose at 150 yards with a 168 grain Barnes TSX. It was lung shot and did not make it farther than aout 15 feet. Upon finding him I found a perfect quarter size exit wound and thought I would find a similar wound on the entry, but after getting him back to camp and dressed out, we found massive damage at the entry point.
My partner and I had a long discussion regarding ammo and he was of the mind that a 180 grain nossler partition would have minimal damage in comparison.

Any thoughts to this? as I would love to hear it and take it into consideration on my next hunt.

Thanks and best of luck to all....

Will post some pics when I have the chance

sfire436
09-23-2012, 03:01 PM
I don't feel a partition would do anything that a ttsx would not be able to do. I shoot 150 gr ttsx and mine were all exceptional.

Spy
09-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Any pictures maybe a story!

killman
09-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Probably has more to do with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_shock than bullet construction.. next time take a few step back. Everyone has the need for speed, flat shooting rifles.

Congrats on the moose.

SSI Tikka
09-23-2012, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=. next time take a few step back. Everyone has the need for speed, flat shooting rifles. [/QUOTE]

I appreciate your statement, but if I jogged back 50 yards (assuming I could) hopin he was still there, would the outcome be different?

killman
09-23-2012, 03:26 PM
I appreciate your statement, but if I jogged back 50 yards (assuming I could) hopin he was still there, would the outcome be different?

Possibly.

What caliber are you shooting and at what speed. If your bullet hits flesh traveling over a certain speed Hydro-static shock occurs. This is where the age old fight between slow and heavy bullets vs. fast and light.

Darksith
09-23-2012, 03:33 PM
he is right about the effect of fast moving bullets, I hear it all the time from the butcher...your bullets are movnig too fast, you are turning the flesh into jello...get a heavier slower travelling bullet and you won't have this problem. That being said you will need to think about your ballistics more if you do so. Its a trade off. Try not to punch through the shoulder and then it really doesn't matter if you wreck a few ribs, although I do love em.

SSI Tikka
09-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks gentlemen, I am on the same page as Killman with the ballistics , just thought it a bit funny the comment about taking the steps back.
As for the shoulder shot, he was standing with his entry side leg far back and didn't want to risk a shot farther back.
the shot penetrated the back side of the 4th rib and just clipped the "tricep". A real mess and a lesson learned, but I am very happy as to how he was dispatched......he made it 15ish feet and lasted all of couple mins from the time of the shot.

Thanks again, it has given me something to consider.... Like packing 2 types of ammo after some experimenting at the range..

Cheers

Gateholio
09-23-2012, 05:28 PM
I've seen Partitions blow off thier front end sending shrapnel all over and causing bloodshot meat, too. Anytime you hit bone there is going to be damage. For that matter, anytime you send a bullet into an animal you will cause damage. I mean....that's the point, right?

;)

killman
09-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks gentlemen, I am on the same page as Killman with the ballistics , just thought it a bit funny the comment about taking the steps back.
As for the shoulder shot, he was standing with his entry side leg far back and didn't want to risk a shot farther back.
the shot penetrated the back side of the 4th rib and just clipped the "tricep". A real mess and a lesson learned, but I am very happy as to how he was dispatched......he made it 15ish feet and lasted all of couple mins from the time of the shot.

Thanks again, it has given me something to consider.... Like packing 2 types of ammo after some experimenting at the range..

Cheers

I was meaning if you were farther away your bullet would be going slower and do less hydostatic damage...;)

rides bike to work
09-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Wheres the pics

Hillbros_96
09-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Dead is dead. Plus you are not looking for cooper and lead through the meat when the partitions come apart. Both do the job, both have their advantages and their disadvantages. I have used both and prefer the Barnes over the partitions as they stay in one piece.

BearStump
09-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Next time be sure to aim between the ribs. But make sure that the bullet goes in between the ribs on the way in, and the way out the other side. This way the animal still dies clean and no meat damage occurs. If you pull this off, you better go buy a lottery ticket right away. lol

russm86
09-24-2012, 11:04 AM
I bet probably 50% of my animals taken have only had one rib broken at the most and large number of them have had no ribs broken, through and through between ribs.