PDA

View Full Version : Could I have made my dog go deaf from shooting ? HELP HE IS NOT RESPONDING .....

vortex hunter
06-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Today the whole Family came out shooting and we had out six month old Heeler COULD I HAVE MADE MY DOG DEAF .... I only blasted the 12 g mybe 12 times with Magnums 3inch slugs and 00buck and a few steel birdshot
and the 22 lr he was never ever right beside me with the 12g going off or the 22 LR he was always with my son or sitting about 25ft from us shooting ... with gun dogs or any dog is this normal Like he will not respond to his name or a whistle NOTHING ahhhh I F@cked up ................... What should I do take him to the vet tomorrow or wait till monday and see if his hearing comes back. Vortex

Spy
06-21-2012, 10:36 PM
He will be fine,his hearing will be back when you wake up tomorrow!

vortex hunter
06-21-2012, 10:37 PM
I hope so SPY I am in alot of poo poo with the wife lol lol

Spy
06-21-2012, 10:41 PM
After a days shooting with my dog he used to be deaf but his hearing used to come back! I don't think you should worry!

Johnny G1
06-21-2012, 10:55 PM
As I remember most young dogs are DEAF for their younger years unless they want somthing, like wisper that you got a bone or cookie for them and the the ear's perk up awful quick, am I right?????

vortex hunter
06-21-2012, 11:06 PM
As I remember most young dogs are DEAF for their younger years unless they want somthing, like wisper that you got a bone or cookie for them and the the ear's perk up awful quick, am I right?????

Nope askin him were his ball is did NOTHING .... My fingers are crossed he will be OKAY

silvertipp
06-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Hey nick
im not an expert on dogs hearing ,but i can tell you my dogs been around while whe shoot and i never noticed any problems like that
you didnt shoot him did ya
hope everything works out for you and the dog

BCHunterTV
06-22-2012, 05:40 AM
ive been around allot a dogs with shooting and never heard of this

but if the dog was in the path of the muzzle blasts it could very well be deaf for a few days with ringing or for its life,

Foxton Gundogs
06-22-2012, 06:11 AM
Nick, Ive shot over dogs for more years than I can count and close to 50 with a clear non child memory and I have never seen a dog go deaf from shooting. We have had as many as 4 guys shooting limits over a young dog and no problem. Not saying it cant happen but nothing I have ever seen. I would take him to the vet, reasoning is that even if it "cures" itself there is probably an underlying cause and may be reocuring....Good Luck

Squamch
06-22-2012, 06:37 AM
My pup was exposed to the 12 gauge starting at about 4 months with no apparent hearing loss, I don't think gunfire is the root of your problem.

Ruger4
06-22-2012, 07:22 AM
if this was a gunshy test (25 ft really ?) you now have your answer........

mikey
06-22-2012, 08:03 AM
hey nick,
if he has indeed gone deaf, i would be contacting the breeder and start asking some questions, maybe try and get ahold of others who have purchesed a dog from them aswell. could be a genetic thing??, im no expert but i think that can be passed on down the line. others on here may be able to add more to this or correct me if im mistaken.

hope it all works out for you guys, mike

Barracuda
06-22-2012, 08:16 AM
It really depends on the dog . some dogs are bomb proof some are not had one you could shoot all you wanted to and it loved it .

shell shocked for a little bit might be the issue , our dogs were fine with shells we raised them with it and then suddenly stopped responding to it positively.

Found out neighbours kid would blow off bear bangers (deep window shakeing boomers) in the back for fun beside our kennel when we were out and our dogs would pretty shut down . Wasnt until a couple of years after that one of the neighbours told us about this happening.
give it time and work it back in slowly.

pnbrock
06-22-2012, 08:18 AM
He is ignoring you not deaf!!

Barracuda
06-22-2012, 08:24 AM
that would be the wife :lol:

vortex hunter
06-22-2012, 09:08 AM
yeah the WIFE IGNORES me the Dog I have took him shooting before and all was good Until yesterday thanks everyone for your input and SILVERTIP NO I DIDNT SHOOT HIM lol lol ..Nick

Iron Glove
06-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Ears, on dogs and wifes, are for decoration purposes only.

Spy
06-22-2012, 09:34 AM
yeah the WIFE IGNORES me the Dog I have took him shooting before and all was good Until yesterday thanks everyone for your input and SILVERTIP NO I DIDNT SHOOT HIM lol lol ..Nick
So how is he this morning?

vortex hunter
06-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Hey SPY he is STILL not responsive to his name or his favourite toywith me calling ( were's your ball ) he would normally be looking for it so will see if things change over this week ..

Spy
06-22-2012, 11:16 AM
I'm sure he will be fine some dogs are definitely more sensitive then others!like i said earlier my hound used to go deaf but that after a days shooting. It would recoupe & be normal after a day or two! You will have to take care in the future because this will haPpen again!

Ruger4
06-22-2012, 11:33 AM
You will have to take care in the future because this will haPpen again!

yes indeed.........when you have a nice quiet time just you and him, calmly take out your gun in front of him, he'll either drop his tail between his legs and walk away or not ...............there will be no in between , if he stay's praise him for 15 seconds and put the gun away, then praise him again and leave it at that. If he walks away then you have a pretty dood idea what the issue is , then plan B is next .............

All our family bird-dogs were introduced to a starter pistol in the 100 yard range and more , pup response deterimed the next move. If your dog is gun shy you have your work cut out but very do-able.

vortex hunter
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks Ruger4 I have used my 22 LR to start him with and that was at distance and he never cared He even came and layed beside me shooting before . But yesterday shooting my 12g not near him did do some damage I went to the Vet today for piece of mind and He has Lacerated ear drums not destroyed but the vet said he should get his hearing back but time will tell and he gave me drops for his ears to help them heal ... Nick

Ioneth
06-22-2012, 03:33 PM
I would think his ears are ringing and once that stops he'll be ok? ever go hunting and forget your ear protection?

bighornbob
06-22-2012, 03:40 PM
I would think his ears are ringing and once that stops he'll be ok? ever go hunting and forget your ear protection?

I wear ear protection when sighting in my gun, but does anyone actually wear it while hunting. I know a lot of others who hunt and have nevr seen them with ear protection while hunting.

BHB

vortex hunter
06-22-2012, 03:43 PM

I never hunt with hearing Protection How would you hear anything ? But my 300 weatherby mag sure makes my ears ring lol I went to the VET today and He has lacerations on his ear drum was given drops and the vet said IT SHOULD GO DOWN and he should regain his hearing..Nick

yamadirt 426
06-22-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm glad your dog will be ok. Maybe that's why most gun dogs have an ear that folds over the opening. My dobes didn't like gun fire with an open ear. Healer are the same. Who knows ?

Glenny
06-22-2012, 04:09 PM
I hope so SPY I am in alot of poo poo with the wife lol lol

If only it made you deaf (Can't hear the poo poo from the wife) :)

silvertipp
06-22-2012, 08:23 PM
good to hear the dogs going to be alright Nick
Ear plugs for dogs,Might be onto something there

vortex hunter
06-22-2012, 10:00 PM
good to hear the dogs going to be alright Nick
Ear plugs for dogs,Might be onto something there

LOL Yeah that would be something else Huh ....

Islandbowhunter
06-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Glad to hear you dog will be okay!

vortex hunter
06-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Glad to hear you dog will be okay!

Thank you ......

91Jason91
06-23-2012, 12:28 PM
I have hearing protection beside me when I drive and if I spot an animal at a distance and its not running or caring that I am here. I will put on the protection. but other than that I dont

Kasomor
06-23-2012, 09:05 PM
But yesterday shooting my 12g not near him did do some damage I went to the Vet today for piece of mind and He has Lacerated ear drums not destroyed but the vet said he should get his hearing back but time will tell and he gave me drops for his ears to help them heal ... Nick

Yup, to answer your question and HOLY CRAP!!!

Hope your pup will be O.K.

Guess there is a reason why most dogs are at heel on the left hand side and why we actually don't shoot over them. We shoot when they are BESIDE us on the opposite side to the gun.

My oldest started going deaf a couple of years ago. I swear it is from me shooting at the line during training for hunt tests...combine that with her horrible line manners while hunting that her hearing is damage.

And I wear hearing protection when duck hunting usually because I am usually shoulder to shoulder with another person in the blind.

Again, hope your pup will be O.K.

dawg1
06-24-2012, 01:34 AM
Would you take your 6 month old kid and do the same..?

Now we get to dawg years...lol

First year for a dawg = 18 years for humans

After that each dawg year = 5 human years

So wold you take your human kid at 9 years old and set him 25' from a gun and fire it..?

Give your head a shake...

dawg

Squamch
06-24-2012, 07:42 AM

So wold you take your human kid at 9 years old and set him 25' from a gun and fire it..?

dawg

shake your own head!
I sure would, I was at the trap range before I was a year old, went shooting a k-frame .22 with lady grips on my 2nd birthday, and was shooting a 12 guage by the time I was 8.

on topic-hope your pup recovers and isn't gun shy from the experience. Strange that that could do damage to your dog, and not to others. Like I said earlier, trigger has been hangin out with us while we shoot shotguns and .22's since he was about 4 months old, and has no hearing issues, or nervousness etc around the guns.

Ioneth
06-24-2012, 10:27 AM

After a morning of duck hunting my ears are ringing and can't hear diddly squat lol

Glad your pup is going to be ok

Jimbo
06-24-2012, 10:52 AM
All of my dogs have gone deaf in their later years, probably from being in front of the gun in upland hunting. Never had one show any effects from short term exposure like your shooting. Maybe there is something unusual about his ear structure ? I would leave him home or keep him confined well out of the shooting area. Good luck.

vortex hunter
06-24-2012, 06:41 PM

dawg

To answer your Question like another responded to you YEAH I WOULD TAKE MY SON OUT SHOOTING WHY NOT ... He Has already gone bear hunting with me Twice and he is Three am I a Bad person for doing so NOPE.. I AM A DAMB GOOD FATHER IF YOU MUST KNOW AND WOULD NEVER EVER PUT MY SON OR WIFE IN DANGER .. Piss me off your stupid comment .. And for my Dog's hearing is coming back strong and I am happy thanks for everyone's POSITIVE COMMENTS ... 91jason91 yeah I keep ear plugs on hand for the shots were I do have time .. VORTEX

finngun
06-24-2012, 06:55 PM
another VERY Big REASON to get silencers LEGAL.. :?

Islandbowhunter
06-25-2012, 01:03 PM
I usually only discharge eight rounds when duck hunting, so my hearing's fine...:rolleyes:

vortex hunter
06-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Well I didnt shoot many rounds that day Mybe 12 thats the most

Everett
06-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Interesting my old heeler lays under the bench at the range while I shoot but the female will jump in the truck soon as I start shooting than hop out when its time to check targets.

vortex hunter
06-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Interesting my old heeler lays under the bench at the range while I shoot but the female will jump in the truck soon as I start shooting than hop out when its time to check targets.

LOL now thats funny

Spy
06-25-2012, 11:10 PM
I had to search for this picture of my dog Spy at a clay shoot!

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy226/Hunterspy/img059-1.jpg

RIP Buddy

vortex hunter
06-25-2012, 11:51 PM
I had to search for this picture of my dog Spy at a clay shoot!

RIP Buddy

Nice Lab SPY thanks for sharing your picture with me ...

Spy
06-26-2012, 12:16 AM
Nice Lab SPY thanks for sharing your picture with me ...
He was actually a cross Weimeraner/Dalmatian best bird dog, buddy I ever had !By the age of nine he went deaf from all the shooting I did over him! All he ever wanted to do was please me,I miss him big time!

Ioneth
06-26-2012, 11:10 AM
After seeing spy's photo I went to google and found these

Mutt Muffs
http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/index.html

(http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/index.html)

dawg1
06-26-2012, 01:42 PM
I guess my post wasn't so stupid after all...

dawg

silvertipp
06-26-2012, 02:52 PM
I guess my post wasn't so stupid after all...

dawg

Nobody said your post was stupid
Your just an a$$hole for your comments

Kevin So
06-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Heelers are also genetically prone to going deaf. most heeler breeder know this and they state the hearing has been checked when they sell puppies if they know the bitch and sire genetic background.

06-28-2012, 12:15 PM

that there is a great pic!
absolutly hilarious! He actually kept them on????

Spy
06-28-2012, 12:30 PM

that there is a great pic!

absolutly hilarious! He actually kept them on????
He would keep them on untill I removed them, Spy would wear sunglasses hats whatever I wanted him to! I will see if I can dig up some more pics!

Everett
06-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Interesting never heard of this before also never seen a deaf heeler yet though when my Male was young I some time wondered if he was blind as he liked to run into walls and fences.

Heelers are also genetically prone to going deaf. most heeler breeder know this and they state the hearing has been checked when they sell puppies if they know the bitch and sire genetic background.

Pioneerman
06-29-2012, 06:48 PM
My friend had a blue healer for two years then got a red healer pup and the red one was deaf. THe breeder said they would take him back, but they were attached by then

vortex hunter
07-03-2012, 09:28 AM
update my Dog Ruger is 100 % healed and is back to normal well as normal as a heeler is lol Vortex

kelmore
07-03-2012, 04:59 PM
glad to hear your dogs ok

vortex hunter
07-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Thank you Kelmore