PDA

View Full Version : Bear skull

Bailer
05-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Im attempting to make a european bear skull mount, So far I have left it in a bucket of bleach for a couple days. Should I repeat this process? or should I boil it? or simply pick out the brains with a wire?

Thanks.

The Dawg
05-21-2008, 05:20 PM
....PM sent.....

ElectricDyck
05-21-2008, 05:28 PM
If you're not in a rush and don't mind smells, cut as much meat off as possible, cut the eyes out, stick a coat hanger up the back bone sleave and pulp up the brains,let it soak in warm water with a little clothes detergent, changing water after 2 weeks then every month or so after until clean. Either that or boil it. Sparing soak in peroxide will help whiten it up. Not too sure about bleach , I would use caution.

Mr. Dean
05-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Seems to me a member used bleach, only to have it crumble up later on (?).

boxhitch
05-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Too bad about the bleach.
You should have tried the 'search' function before your experiment.

358mag
05-21-2008, 09:44 PM
any one out here know or have any of them beetles for skull cleaning ??

mrdoog
05-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Skulling an Angel on the kitchen floor

Archer
05-21-2008, 09:52 PM
I have been told that bleach breaks down stubborn bits of cartilage quickly, then after about 10 minutes it begins to attack the bone itself. Hope it doesn't fall apart on you.

Bailer
05-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Ok, good to know, I'll take it out right away. thanks

pupper
05-21-2008, 11:41 PM
here is a step by step guide: http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/How_to_Clean_a_Bear_Skull_and_Make_a_European_Moun t_In_5_Easy_Steps
here is a video showing the process:http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/p/How_to_Make_a_European_Mount_Bear_Skull

pointandshoot
05-22-2008, 01:48 AM
i've also heard about guys just hanging it from a tree in the bush and coming back to it a few months later...sounds easy.

hunter1947
05-22-2008, 03:38 AM
i've also heard about guys just hanging it from a tree in the bush and coming back to it a few months later...sounds easy. That is exactly what I did ,then I finished it up with a little TLC.

BiG Boar
05-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Its under $150 to clean and bleach a skull at ganders in surrey. Save the headache and nausia and get them to do it.

DWH
05-27-2008, 12:37 PM
If time is not an issue, bury it about a foot and half underground - leave it for a year, dig it out and all the skin, fur, brain matter, etc... everything will be gone. I never worried about getting special bugs as it seems the native species do just fine. Just make sure you mark the spot, are careful digging it out, and that you get all the teeth too. Grab a few bottles of peroxide (Superstore: $0.99 per half litre) and lightly boil the rinsed off and fully submerged skull for a few hours (coleman stove in the backyard) and you'll get a perfectly clean and bright white skull. You may want to wire the skull up from the bottom to keep it from touching the bottom of the pot. After, rinse it off, let it dry for a few days and you're good to go. From there you can spray on a clearcoat if you want it to be glossy or some other topcoat for added protection (but be careful, test the product to make sure it won't change the colour of the skull). This has worked on the two skulls I've done it on so far - and I'll be doing it next time too.

A couple bucks worth of propane for the stove, a few dollars for the peroxide and a year's worth of patience!

Wildman
05-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Drop it off a warf....it will get picked clean.