PDA

View Full Version : So my father got his first leh moose tag

Vortex hunter
07-17-2024, 09:19 PM
So my dad pushing 80 . He Just had a heart attack three stints later he planning to hunt his leh tag. Prince George m.u 7-04 for calf moose in October. Need map help pms welcome.. trying to make this happen for him as it might be his last hunt he physically can do with my son.... Vortex

Vortex hunter
07-29-2024, 09:59 PM
M.u 7-4 any folks hunt that area ? what other kinda animals folks see around that area , I'm not familiar with it..

Vortex hunter
08-22-2024, 12:07 PM
Wow no one offering tips of area not seeking a honey hole , just trying to make a lasting memory for my son and father. Vortex

Retiredguy
08-22-2024, 12:24 PM
I am not familiar with hunting 7-4, but have driven through that area lots over the years. I know there are a number of FSR's in that area as you see the signs where the forestry roads head off from the highway. Lots of people use the Backcountry Maps book and the maps associated with that book can be ordered. Personally I think they are not all that great and I usually order maps from one of the big map outfits that are easily found by querying on Google. I much prefer a good topo map. They are not always completely up to date with the resource roads, but nothing keeps up with the changes that can occur year to year as they add more roads. Kind of old school for some, but I like them as you can see elevation and swamps, etc.

hawk-i
08-22-2024, 12:58 PM
I've never hunted 7-04 so can't comment on the area but its a great place to stretch the legs on that 1290 adventure to get a lay of the land!

Good luck to you and your Dad. :)

spreerider
08-22-2024, 01:00 PM
get ihunter download some maps for the area and start planning, you can use the pc version as well for better resolution maps

Vortex hunter
08-22-2024, 04:44 PM
Never heard of Ihunter before, will look for it . Yes I will be going up lots different spur roads looking for sign for my dad while my son and him stay in the truck WARM lol

Muledeercrazy2
08-22-2024, 05:59 PM
Hopefully someone can give you some ideas on where to start. I find the backroads map books pretty good, sometimes they show non existent roads or trails in the wrong spot but if you have them on a gps/ phone app you can figure the roads out as you go much easier.

Vortex hunter
08-22-2024, 07:23 PM
Yes I been turned around before with my back roads map book before but I found the freeway after hours lol yeah I never hunted out that way before . So just trying to figure out a starting point or something like cows and calf's are they low elevation or high with bulls.. plus a calf description in regs sucks like a what size like spike for size considered a calf ? Help

Livewire322
08-22-2024, 08:33 PM
Yes I been turned around before with my back roads map book before but I found the freeway after hours lol yeah I never hunted out that way before . So just trying to figure out a starting point or something like cows and calf's are they low elevation or high with bulls.. plus a calf description in regs sucks like a what size like spike for size considered a calf ? Help

What’s so hard to understand about the definition of calf? You’re allowed to shoot spike for bulls under GOS, your dad can too, or he can shoot a cow, or a calf…

Vortex hunter
08-22-2024, 08:58 PM
What’s so hard to understand about the definition of calf? You’re allowed to shoot spike for bulls under GOS, your dad can too, or he can shoot a cow, or a calf…

First off I'm disletzic secondly thanks for the explanation livewire322

Machinist
08-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Check out the new regs , there are ATV restrictions in the MU , if you are going to use one make sure you are aware of the Time restrictions for use.
Best of Luck

Vortex hunter
08-22-2024, 09:09 PM
Check out the new regs , there are ATV restrictions in the MU , if you are going to use one make sure you are aware of the Time restrictions for use.
Best of Luck

Thank you, we will be mostly in my truck but I will unload my adventure bike as it's licensed and will check the regs to double check

wallz
08-23-2024, 01:47 PM
I've been in PG for 9 plus years and never hunted the 7-4. Was down on the border to 7-5 a few weeks ago for a ride on the sxs as I've had my eye on that area for a few years. The road is mostly in 7-5 so is of no real use for you guys to head down, plus it was deactivated 15 km or so in. The Dore I believe. Some great hiking for goat, but no help for your moose. You will want to check further south in the 7-4 just out of Valemount. Not alot of roads in that area to travel, and the country is steep. Yea some great moose habitat in the area we wen up the Dore, but not alot of accessible area to hunt. 7-5 has more, but again not alot, but that doesn't actually help you guys at all.

Vortex hunter
08-23-2024, 04:56 PM
I've been in PG for 9 plus years and never hunted the 7-4. Was down on the border to 7-5 a few weeks ago for a ride on the sxs as I've had my eye on that area for a few years. The road is mostly in 7-5 so is of no real use for you guys to head down, plus it was deactivated 15 km or so in. The Dore I believe. Some great hiking for goat, but no help for your moose. You will want to check further south in the 7-4 just out of Valemount. Not alot of roads in that area to travel, and the country is steep. Yea some great moose habitat in the area we wen up the Dore, but not alot of accessible area to hunt. 7-5 has more, but again not alot, but that doesn't actually help you guys at all.

Thanks for the info yes my father can't hike , he had six stints put in from his heart attack does have his disability permit tho. But I want a area we can sit together in and laugh and search for swamp donkeys

mike31154
08-23-2024, 08:27 PM
I've never been in that area, more south-west of Prince George for group LEH hunts. The MU doesn't look that large vs some. I just browsed the new regs & other than restrictions on goats it's pretty much fair game for exploring there. I did note that the season for some critters in Region 7 opens as early as mid August, including mountain goat in 7-4 so it's conceivable there has been some hunting pressure well before you get there. Doesn't matter what's being hunted, if there are hunters in the MU regardless of species, the animals may be more wary....

Vortex hunter
08-24-2024, 10:08 AM
Yeah pressure everywhere I tell yeah . But I am stubborn I'll keep trying for my dad and son. We have all species for tags so pretty covered..if was just me I'd look for a goat but I'd be leaving my dad and son to do there hunting.. vortex

srthomas75
08-24-2024, 10:27 AM
hopefully you guys make it out on your hunt. I'm sure that anywhere you end up going will be good. Nobody on here is going to say that "I saw a legal animal for you standing next to this tree " but the fact that you are cruising around with family will provide those memories that you're looking for.
I don't know the area so can't suggest any roads etc... but exploring on your own is part of the adventure. good luck

Vortex hunter
08-24-2024, 11:58 AM
hopefully you guys make it out on your hunt. I'm sure that anywhere you end up going will be good. Nobody on here is going to say that "I saw a legal animal for you standing next to this tree " but the fact that you are cruising around with family will provide those memories that you're looking for.
I don't know the area so can't suggest any roads etc... but exploring on your own is part of the adventure. good luck

Wasn't expecting anyone telling me where , didn't ask for that HBC years ago was way more helpful. I hunted for years but never out that way so I asked a question. Was not looking for a honey hole or anything remotely like that . But agree cruising with my father and son is the best part of any hunt.

mike31154
08-24-2024, 04:53 PM
I just had a look at the area on Google Earth. Very mountainous..... to say the least, and few major roads. For a hunt in that area in October I wouldn't even bother bringing a motorcycle, you won't be able to explore much more than you can in your truck with your dad & son. Find a campsite in a valley somewhere near a lake or stream & enjoy. Anywhere above 1,000 meters that time of year is likely going to have more snow than you want to navigate on 2 wheels.

This photo is from 2019 near the end of October at an elevation of about 1400 meters. About a week before spike fork moose season opened in Region 8. I was in a tree stand looking for deer when a cow, calf & young bull moose came out of the timber to feed at the edge of the lake. The hike from my truck to the stand was about 1 km through mostly timber & a couple feet of snow in places.
https://1drv.ms/i/c/a0157e1b64909474/UQN0lJBkG34VIICg4ZgAAAAAAGIly2avpyCaWC8?height=102 4

Vortex hunter
08-24-2024, 07:42 PM
I just had a look at the area on Google Earth. Very mountainous..... to say the least, and few major roads. For a hunt in that area in October I wouldn't even bother bringing a motorcycle, you won't be able to explore much more than you can in your truck with your dad & son. Find a campsite in a valley somewhere near a lake or stream & enjoy. Anywhere above 1,000 meters that time of year is likely going to have more snow than you want to navigate on 2 wheels.

This photo is from 2019 near the end of October at an elevation of about 1400 meters. About a week before spike fork moose season opened in Region 8. I was in a tree standing hoping for a deer when a cow, calf & young bull moose came out of the timber to feed at the edge of the lake. The hike from my truck to the stand was about 1 km through mostly timber & a couple feet of snow in places.
https://1drv.ms/i/c/a0157e1b64909474/UQN0lJBkG34VIICg4ZgAAAAAAGIly2avpyCaWC8?height=102 4

Snow don't bother me either I got a snowmobile I can load up too instead of the bike , but agree any lake or something like that would be good times with my boy and father sure will find something to chase.

guntech
08-24-2024, 09:27 PM
Take along a .22 and shoot a few grouse. Actually killing a moose is anti climatic... the hunt is over and the work begins... but cruising, sitting, calling, is the hunt. Hope you have a good one.

Vortex hunter
08-24-2024, 10:46 PM
Take along a .22 and shoot a few grouse. Actually killing a moose is anti climatic... the hunt is over and the work begins... but cruising, sitting, calling, is the hunt. Hope you have a good one.
Always have a 22 or a 17hmr with us. But yeah lots work once animals are down . Ate moose lots just never got my own yet. Thanks guntech I'm excited to go with my dad and son..

wallz
08-26-2024, 11:18 AM
Canoe Mountain had snow last week. Saw some pictures from 4wheel forum of some guys that we up there and ran into snow, fresh and falling. Those mountains are tall in that area and not much lower valley bottoms.

Hopefully you find a decent road to go up and explore some just north of Valemount.

Just had a good look on google earth: Castle creek is a longerish fsr to go up. Kiwa fsr might be another one. Tete Juen /Croydon looks promising as well as long as there are no farm land on it.

Looks like the area out of Tete Juen might hold the best spots for small ponds that you might be able to sit near and call around. Those I would probably try first. The shaded area is 7-4.

https://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9407&stc=1

wallz
08-26-2024, 11:24 AM
Should be elk in there, but closes Oct 9th, and both mule and whites should be in the area too.

Vortex hunter
08-26-2024, 03:40 PM
Canoe Mountain had snow last week. Saw some pictures from 4wheel forum of some guys that we up there and ran into snow, fresh and falling. Those mountains are tall in that area and not much lower valley bottoms.

Hopefully you find a decent road to go up and explore some just north of Valemount.

Just had a good look on google earth: Castle creek is a longerish fsr to go up. Kiwa fsr might be another one. Tete Juen /Croydon looks promising as well as long as there are no farm land on it.

Looks like the area out of Tete Juen might hold the best spots for small ponds that you might be able to sit near and call around. Those I would probably try first. The shaded area is 7-4.

https://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9407&stc=1

Thank you so much , yeah might leave the bike at home and load the snowmobile instead but , we definitely will need a spot for my son and dad to sit , while I go search around. Thanks for the information

j270wsm
08-27-2024, 07:30 PM
Are you allowed to use a snowmobile to hunt moose? I thought you were only aloud to use sleds to hunt bison

Ron.C
08-27-2024, 07:56 PM
Are you allowed to use a snowmobile to hunt moose? I thought you were only aloud to use sleds to hunt bison

In general I think so. That said there are allot of restrictions specifically for using snowmobiles to hunt in various MU's.

Looks like there are snowmobile restrictions in the OP's dad's MU (7-4):

from page 56:

Snowmobiles for Hunting Closed Areas (See page 10): The operation of snowmobiles for the purpose of hunting, to transport wildlife, to transport firearms or equipment and supplies which are intended for or in support of hunting,or to transport hunters to and from the location of wildlife is prohibited in these areas.

MUs 7-2 to 7-18, 7-23 to 7-30, and 7-37 to 7-39 from Mar 31 - Nov 30.

Vortex hunter
08-28-2024, 11:04 AM
He has a disabled hunter permit. Plus never said I was going to hunt off it I'd drive it around then walk my self .. but my father's disabled hunter permit allows him to use vehicle where WE ABLED BODY PEOPLE CANNOT. FFS THIS SITES GONE DOWNHILL so much bitching over these last few years

Ron.C
08-28-2024, 12:26 PM
Vortex. Just adding some content to a post above. A general response to a general question.

Enjoy your hunt

Vortex hunter
08-28-2024, 12:33 PM
Well people need to know anyone can use a truck , bike , dirt bike , snowmobile to get in somewhere to hunt doesn't mean there hunting off it . For example I'd probably have more fun riding fresh snow then hunting ��. But my father's allowed to go in areas WE able body people couldn't with vehicles due to his disability permit.. oh I'll enjoy anything we get up to out there this year. Thanks Ron
C

labguy
08-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Enjoy your hunt and enjoy your family. Looking forward to hearing how you made out…….

Vortex hunter
08-28-2024, 01:52 PM
Enjoy your hunt and enjoy your family. Looking forward to hearing how you made out…….

Thanks labguy , yes this hunt means a lot to my son and myself as a memory with my father and since the big scare of his heart attack grateful we didn't lose him. My son's fifteen and Dad's 80 yrs young cannot wait to share our story's and laughs with all you folks .. let's hope dad doesn't set the popcorn on fire this time hahaha. Vortex