PDA

View Full Version : How long to keep hide in freezer?

TheObserver
06-03-2024, 01:52 PM
I put a Bear hide in the freezer May 27th, I am going to bark tan it.

I have to gather a bunch of bark, and make a fleshing beam and either buy or make a fleshing tool, also have to get a pot with a spout/strainer. This will take me a couple weeks at least.

Question is I just folded the hide in half and put it in a contractor bag and in the freezer (no salt this time lol). How long is it safe in there while I get my materials together?

Livewire322
06-03-2024, 02:10 PM
I’ve kept a hide in the same conditions you’ve described for over a year and then finished fleshing it with no slippage.

jlirot
06-03-2024, 02:14 PM
I put a Bear hide in the freezer May 27th, I am going to bark tan it.

I have to gather a bunch of bark, and make a fleshing beam and either buy or make a fleshing tool, also have to get a pot with a spout/strainer. This will take me a couple weeks at least.

Question is I just folded the hide in half and put it in a contractor bag and in the freezer (no salt this time lol). How long is it safe in there while I get my materials together?

Sorry - I'm kinda a newby. I haven't saved my hides. Is salting before freezing not recommended? I could see salt inhibiting the freezing but am not sure.

TheObserver
06-03-2024, 02:35 PM
I’ve kept a hide in the same conditions you’ve described for over a year and then finished fleshing it with no slippage.

Sweet! So busy so many things to do/get done may not get to it for another month

TheObserver
06-03-2024, 02:38 PM
Sorry - I'm kinda a newby. I haven't saved my hides. Is salting before freezing not recommended? I could see salt inhibiting the freezing but am not sure.

Either get the fat and flesh off and salt it, or freeze it. I wouldn't do both, pick one or the other

srupp
06-03-2024, 03:30 PM
hmmm salt slows down the freezing process....freezing prevents proper salt absorbtion

if you freeze dont salt..
if you salt dont freeze..

Srupp

high horse Hal
06-03-2024, 05:49 PM
Question is I just folded the hide in half and put it in a contractor bag and in the freezer (no salt this time lol). How long is it safe in there while I get my materials together?Careful how you thaw it out, some parts will be warm way before others. If head is on the outside, get to the lips eyes ears asap

mod7rem
06-03-2024, 07:45 PM
But if you’ve already salted, it’s not a big deal to freeze it. Just get as much salt off as possible, even by rinsing and towel drying, and it will freeze.

ghost
06-03-2024, 08:01 PM
You get the bear with your bow?

TheObserver
06-03-2024, 08:14 PM
Careful how you thaw it out, some parts will be warm way before others. If head is on the outside, get to the lips eyes ears asap

Thanks for the tip, seen this recently in a video. Leave the head on the outisde so you can work on it first. After much thought, I ended up cutting the head off. As this will be my first attempt at tanning and my last Bear was bigger I thought I would just do the body/arms. Going to leave fur on and do a pelt.

TheObserver
06-03-2024, 08:15 PM
You get the bear with your bow?

This one was with rifle, but the plan was to get one out of the way with the gun then do bow we'll see what happens in the next couple weeks

digger dogger
06-04-2024, 06:53 AM
I had frank from fur and feathers (not in business anymore) tell me to sink a hide completely in water and freeze, on a cape u dont plan on using anytime soon. It’ll keep for years if totally submerge and stays frozen.

Monashee
06-06-2024, 12:41 PM
should be rolled and not folded