PDA

View Full Version : 615I Mountain Goat LEH Winter Access

JSaw
01-20-2020, 01:56 PM
I'm planning a winter goat hunt at the end of Feb in 615-I, northwest of Terrace. Not looking for spots just looking for local knowledge on access to the west of Kitsumkalum Lake. Looking at imagery I can see a few old blocks and roads on the east of the lake but I can't tell if anything is recent. Anyone ever done this hunt before in Feb? Or any locals know if they're harvesting out that way and have some roads plowed?

Thanks in advance and maybe a case of beer on our way through Terrace... ;)

jethrobuddy
01-21-2020, 07:53 AM
Zero logging going on in that area. Nothing will be plowed. There is a pile of snow this year.

JSaw
01-21-2020, 09:29 AM
Thanks. Do you know if they plow to the Northern Escape Heli Ski lodge? If it is where google says it is....

DMD
01-21-2020, 07:06 PM
Northern escape flys in guest and employees to the lodge. Going to be tough access into that zone right now. Over 200cm of snow in town since Jan 1 and more out that way.

Avalanche123
01-21-2020, 07:36 PM
What everyone else has said....I will add that I flew over the West Kalum today and there are many trees now across the road due to all the recent snow...so that will add to your adventure. Good luck with your hunt!

JSaw
01-22-2020, 07:44 AM
Well hopefully the snow thats coming covers those trees up for us... haha. Thanks for the info guys. PM me about beers

Kopper
01-22-2020, 06:27 PM
Let’s bump this a tad. I’m tagged out but would be accompanying JSaw.
Obviously it’s weather dependent but is it unrealistic to think we’ll be able to stay on top of the snow with good snow shoes at this time of year?Or relatively close to the top lol. What about crossing smallish rivers; are they typically frozen well enough to cross?

Avalanche123
01-22-2020, 07:33 PM
Let’s bump this a tad. I’m tagged out but would be accompanying JSaw.
Obviously it’s weather dependent but is it unrealistic to think we’ll be able to stay on top of the snow with good snow shoes at this time of year?Or relatively close to the top lol. What about crossing smallish rivers; are they typically frozen well enough to cross?

Flew over again today....you will need a sled. There is rain in the forecast now, the recent snow is settling quickly. Depending on your timing, it will freeze at some point making travel a lot quicker....Honestly guys, Ma Nature should dictate your planning....so watch the weather. If you just plan on showing up, then you will simply play the card that is dealt to you but if you are flexible, the difference in travel can be night and day. It certainly won't be easy no matter how you do this hunt as access is so restricted but if you plan it well and are well prepared, it will be a fun adventure

boxhitch
01-23-2020, 10:06 AM
these guys can help with road info

www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/local-road-safety-information/skeena-stikine-natural-resource-district-road-safety-information

kitnayakwa77
01-23-2020, 10:54 AM
these guys can help with road info

www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/local-road-safety-information/skeena-stikine-natural-resource-district-road-safety-information

The West Kalum FSR is in the Coast Mtns District not Skeena Stikine. It is definitely not plowed. You are looking at around 20+ km off unplowed road before you reach your area. Crossing Kalum Lk or river in a boat may be an option but you will still be a ways away from where the goats are. Avalanche123 has good advice in his comment. I am not sure if snowmobiles are allowed in this area as I don't have the regs open in front of me.

JSaw
01-23-2020, 11:22 AM
The West Kalum FSR is in the Coast Mtns District not Skeena Stikine. It is definitely not plowed. You are looking at around 20+ km off unplowed road before you reach your area. Crossing Kalum Lk or river in a boat may be an option but you will still be a ways away from where the goats are. Avalanche123 has good advice in his comment. I am not sure if snowmobiles are allowed in this area as I don't have the regs open in front of me.

We had tossed around the idea of crossing the river, but we don't know if it usually freezes over in late Feb. This would cut travel distance down by more than 50%. Good advice coming from you guys, thanks. A sled is in the works but rentals are expensive and most buddies in PG have high-end mtn. sleds which I'm not prepared to potentially wreck and pay for. Like Avalanche said.. most likely will be a game time decision.

warnniklz
01-23-2020, 11:35 AM
... I am not sure if snowmobiles are allowed in this area as I don't have the regs open in front of me.

I was discussing this last night with my dad. Sleds aren't allowed in 6-15 for hunting, but you can use them to aid in hunting.

Jimbob
01-23-2020, 11:48 AM
How much experience do you have snow shoeing? What about winter experience in avalanche area? What about winter camping? I am supper adventurous and have my share fair of wilderness experience in all seasons but a winter goat hunt seems daunting to me. I am planning on doing one in the near future but I need to plan more, gain some more experience and make sure I have the right gear.

25+ km snowshoe with winter gear is hard core darn near impossible actually unless you are willing to spend a few days getting in. Snowshoes do not give you lots of float, I would be using MSR with tails added to help.

If you can find a SAFE way to cross lake or river that would be key. Even still 10 km of breaking trail and gaining elevation might be impossible.

Have you seen this video? https://journalofmountainhunting.com/toe-the-line/

It will give you a good idea of what you can expect.

JSaw
01-23-2020, 12:28 PM
How much experience do you have snow shoeing? What about winter experience in avalanche area? What about winter camping? I am supper adventurous and have my share fair of wilderness experience in all seasons but a winter goat hunt seems daunting to me. I am planning on doing one in the near future but I need to plan more, gain some more experience and make sure I have the right gear.

25+ km snowshoe with winter gear is hard core darn near impossible actually unless you are willing to spend a few days getting in. Snowshoes do not give you lots of float, I would be using MSR with tails added to help.

If you can find a SAFE way to cross lake or river that would be key. Even still 10 km of breaking trail and gaining elevation might be impossible.

Have you seen this video? https://journalofmountainhunting.com/toe-the-line/

It will give you a good idea of what you can expect.

Yes that's a great video.
As far as snowshoeing goes, a decent amount of winter alpine trips east of PG. I've got good MSR's with tails, tipi tent with stove, etc. gear wise I'm confident. Avy terrain I've got a basic understanding but you raise a good point as the terrain is super steep and looks to be full of avalanche chutes.
If this trip happens I don't expect an amazing chance at harvesting a Billy, but it will be a good learning opportunity/gear test for future trips.

warnniklz
01-23-2020, 01:51 PM
If you get in, I'm sure you'll see goats.

Jimbob
01-23-2020, 06:53 PM
Yes that's a great video.
As far as snowshoeing goes, a decent amount of winter alpine trips east of PG. I've got good MSR's with tails, tipi tent with stove, etc. gear wise I'm confident. Avy terrain I've got a basic understanding but you raise a good point as the terrain is super steep and looks to be full of avalanche chutes.
If this trip happens I don't expect an amazing chance at harvesting a Billy, but it will be a good learning opportunity/gear test for future trips.

I would talk to someone experienced about avalanche safety and then go for it. If it just turns into a cool snowshoe trip and you never make it up to goat terrain then who cares, still a great trip.

VEHICLE RESTRICTIONS Snowmobiles for Hunting Closed Areas:
...The use of snowmobiles is permittedto transport wildlife, transport equipment,firearms or supplies or transport hunter toand from the location of wildlife in MUs6-4, 6-5, 6-6, 6-8, 6-9, 6-15 and 6-30 fromDec 16 to Mar 31 only.

You can use a snowmobile for transportation.

Avalanche123
01-23-2020, 08:19 PM
I would talk to someone experienced about avalanche safety and then go for it. If it just turns into a cool snowshoe trip and you never make it up to goat terrain then who cares, still a great trip.

VEHICLE RESTRICTIONS Snowmobiles for Hunting Closed Areas:
...The use of snowmobiles is permittedto transport wildlife, transport equipment,firearms or supplies or transport hunter toand from the location of wildlife in MUs6-4, 6-5, 6-6, 6-8, 6-9, 6-15 and 6-30 fromDec 16 to Mar 31 only.

You can use a snowmobile for transportation.

Feel free to PM me.....I can offer some suggestions re: avalanche safety.

mike31154
01-23-2020, 11:08 PM
I have a good amount of experience ski touring & that is another good option to travel on snow besides snowshoes. A number of years ago I happened to have my ski touring gear with me on a hunt, I ended up higher than planned & the hunt turned into a short ski tour. There were no more deer up where I was!

However, if you've never done that & have to get the gear etc., your goat hunt is probably not the best time to learn! You'll most definitely want to engage is some training beforehand. Regardless what method you use to get around in avalanche terrain, including mechanized with sleds, you will need to have basic self rescue gear such as avalanche transceiver, probe & shovel. And know how to use it!

Some of the longer days I've done backcountry touring have been around 17 Km. That's guided, with packs carrying the essentials for the day such as lunch, rescue gear, extra clothing. No rifle or extra camping gear for a possible overnighter. Half that distance would be skiing downhill. Among other things, the guides earn their pay breaking trail so us paying customers have a nice packed track to follow. I have broken trail on my own & can tell you it's a hella lot more work!

The November deer hunt above Mabel Lake that turned into an afternoon ski tour. For chits & giggles I decided to shoulder the rifle along with the backpack I carried.
https://atiemw.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mTEXnn7rAegSr9qSY2Xmrg9OOPy6Wb9guzEPMmpmHMR1ebck vvy9F0t573Qj5OJQ6J5Whyq_5RJ-ucMf91X0o9IvSzYWDwbmSuFbbSX5cNgSuaSKgs8NgrzySwiLyK QmqVdIg23fsQTyotiOEOsqdadF9XIWOAHZQEhZXWLXXenM2gTA 4lE-FnfXCJ3223AX_yjUxRSNtolE6M4QTbW0NxA?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

https://atidmw.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mlSmz0LQCXYn6hUSKs4ZNxfCs7L-HACP08Jb4UkSGpDApBKpbWaoZnEAVyJDBk54lGjvbuu32nFEbo bMh87yivSlURMcxQzX3N0KF5Wdqt7ZANRHFO3XdcPoTGI0FIcr TwjKPGLbGJAQ0lICLMolS32g297uxMGXg8I1WlsiEYAz6dxcpX d5lw0cddjibLpqKtdOhnSX1gAk5rQGsTS_bQA?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

This one is in the Keefer Lake area of the Monashees. Not a hunt but a day tour with my skis. You can see the climbing skin attached to the bottom of one of the skis.
https://ajl9mg.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mDx-tZRKZdLSWJlJ5EcCX_QhyIYMWbnb9auGfwIO1vDlOUIrInMi35 Y4rwMciDbwgbMA6CJoFTnOUpNPxAbZA8mO8VUcsq6PmS84hhts-D7Xx_q9TOvftvQZtKKrLpUDYacGHu_PVKLgOUb-9nO2VK1bPN8Mel4ptPDFG3FGjsTWOxrI754QUoLOux5pUsRWbD PEnRizpgXXHij8SqvgGZw?width=1024&height=413&cropmode=none

This one features some goats we were fortunate to catch a glimpse of while ski touring at a backcountry lodge in the Kimberley area. 2012.
https://rpalsw.bl.files.1drv.com/y4mzkNJjMC5yFQoctHMrK6yC7VSAvEHxUI3sfitVI0-2pNy3W0ew-uZrK0ZtvZZmUHpPVP5fltmeMLdiSSCUB9gwdjcx_syYL6wsH0p 7CWnSp_-5viuT47kAnO1WDP7HzGVMZc3wnJ5xDZo23DXsBY7ErTQh_6H2f KHzH1d0PjNVYz9BSpgHJdTy5t-vVb1FiEQ?width=1024&height=681&cropmode=none

JSaw
01-24-2020, 09:12 AM
Great photos, I used to spend quite a bit of time out in that area east of Vernon when I lived down there. Brings back memories! Ya as far as skinning in goes... don't have the gear for that yet but its on the long and expensive list of things to buy. We're kind of hoping to luck out with a good freeze before we go and minimal new snow to give it a nice hard layer on top. I've got a few buddies up here who are touring weekly this time of year so I can borrow some avy gear from them and some useful information.

Thanks avalanche i'll shoot you a PM.