Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stepping out of the shadows..

Stepping out of the shadows..

I’d like to introduce myself to the board, I’m Ian Feir and have been lurking here for 6 months give or take. What has changed to cause me to step out of the shadows is that I have just accepted a position with BC Hydro that will see us moving to the greater Vancouver area at the end of June.

I’m a fanatical duck hunter and competition decoy carver and look forward with enthusiasm to the variety and abundance of species in BC compared to my present home in Miramichi, New Brunswick. If you are interested in more about me or my habits I have a webpage where you can see all www.partridgecreek.ca

I used to do alot of bow hunting for big game hunting, deer mainly with one bear (3/8" short of the pope and young!) but after moving here and seeing the way folks hunt I pretty much gave it up.

I know I will have a ton of questions but have found answers to many through old posts, but what that I can’t figure out is how does one get the special insurance for hunting the Fraser valley? Does anyone here hunt brant or sea ducks?

Very best,

Ian

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stepping out of the shadows..

Welcome to the site and the best province in Canada for hunting what ever makes you happy!
    Last edited by 416; 04-22-2006 at 11:00 AM.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

welcome to the site Ian, i'm sure it wont be long before some of the water fowl hunters post up and i'm sure they will be able to answer any questions you have.

Welcome to HuntingBC Ian F. I have run across your website before and liked it so much that I bookmarked the link. I am glad you stepped out of the shadow.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Welcome to the site I have a few friends from back there and they all enjoy it out here. This site is full of info and goods and gals.

Welcome to the site...In order to get your fraser valley specail permit you need to have 1 million dollar liability insurance,Wich is quite easily obtained by joining a rod and gun club ect.
    Symon

Welcome to HBC!

I think once you move here you may want to explore the big game hunting once again. Just the scenery and amount of elbow room out there alone will get you hooked. There is no place in NA or the northern hemisphere for that matter that offers as many big game species to hunt as British Colombia.

Welcome aboard Im originally from Rothesay, New Brunswick, Ive fished the Miramachi a couple of times. Also grew up hunting ducks, didnt start hunting big game untill i moved out here, you'll love it out here, definatley more game on the Menu out this way Rob
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

I can’t figure out is how does one get the special insurance for hunting the Fraser valley?
    Any gun store that sells licenses sells 'em i think. Insurance is easy too - i Believe (dont quote me) that they'll sell it there, but your BCWF membership or in most cases your club membership should have it too. Insurance costs about 20 bucks a year stand-alone i think?

As to brant and sea ducks - i know there's some real brant fanatics. Certanly regular ducks are hunted, but the problem with ducks too near the ocean is they taste a little fishy to some. Especially if you're used to manitoba grain fed But there are lots of opportunities and there's a duck hunting club in the lower mainland that has secured all the rights from the farmers to hunt on their land. You'll likley want to join that. (what the heck is the name of it again? ).

If you've got a dog, there's geese and duck aplenty about. I only know how to hunt those over dogs, so i've not bothered much in bc. But lots do.

There's turkey now too And grouse.

Ivan F, welcome to the site and yes, you are moving to a fine province.