• fixed

59 74.68%
  • mechanical

20 25.32%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: fixed vs mechanical

Re: fixed vs mechanical

Quote Originally Posted by rattling_junkie View Post
    Why are you replacing blades with cold hands? I have always done all my broadhead work inside at my desk.
    I dont, its an example I guess. I usually change them with blood on my hands.LOL
    Can't hit it if you don't shoot.

I am a complete newbie to all this...just picked up a bow in early February.....and will be heading to the Island later this year, and see if I can get a deer. I have researched fixed versus mechanical, in forums such as this and found that with fixed, there are fewer things to go wrong, and mechanical should fly more like a field point, than a fixed. Penetration and blood trail also were discussed. So gathering up this info..I thought I'd first purchase some Slick Tricks. They say they are the original short profile fixed broad head and all others followed. They also claim they will fly the same as a field tip. Off I go to the archery shop in Abbotsford, where the owner is a hardcore bow hunter. I asked him what he prefers, and he replied Slick Tricks! I thought, hmmm...maybe I'm on to something. Now, he also added, that they may not necessarily fly like field points on all bows. I grabbed a pack of 100 g Slick Trick Magnums, and off I went home. First off...they were very easy and quick to assemble....definitely a plus.....then out to the back yard..and shot them at 20 and 30 yards in the fading light. Seemed pretty good.....so off I go this afternoon to the Abbotford Fish and game, and set up my target at 40 yards. I then shot 3 field tips, and then 2 Slick Tricks. See the picture.
    The top and bottoms arrows are the slick tricks....the bottom one took off half of the nock of the arrow beside it, slicing the vane, and the shaft.
    I am sure you have better groupings, but for a newbie, who had some serious muscle fatigue. (heavy chest and back work out in morning) I will take it this time. Bottom line is..I am happy with the Slick Trick's flight...so, I've found a fixed broadhead that does seem to shoot like my field points. Hopefully this fall..I can tell you how they performed after hitting an animal...but from what I've read here and other forums..it will do the job.
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

Bow Walker Guest

At 40 yards - and for a self-confessed "newbie" - that ain't bad at all. Congrats.

Best thing to do (I have found) is to spin or roll your arrows to check that there isn't any wobble on the front end or on the back end. If the Shaft spins "true" - that's when you get the same p.o.i. with field and broadhead tips.

Here's a really good spinner (and cheap too)...It's by a company called Pine Ridge.

thanks for that, Bow Walker. Yes, Wayne, at the archery shop here, mentioned that about the wobble...my next purchase from him will be a spinner....lots of small purchases...so the wife doesn't notice!
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

rage!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    At 40 yards - and for a self-confessed "newbie" - that ain't bad at all. Congrats.

Best thing to do (I have found) is to spin or roll your arrows to check that there isn't any wobble on the front end or on the back end. If the Shaft spins "true" - that's when you get the same p.o.i. with field and broadhead tips.

Here's a really good spinner (and cheap too)...It's by a company called Pine Ridge.

I agree 100%. I have the same arrow spinner and use it whenever I put a broadhead on an arrow (I use Slick Tricks for everything except turkeys).
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

I have been using slick tricks for years, have taken many Moose with them and would recommend them. The mechanical blades have come a long way and some guys love them.If for some reason one of the blades opened or more reasonable if you hit a branch on your way to your target one blade might open and cause the arrow to turn at impact causing a non vital hit. Its only a theory. The bows of today are so much faster. And hay what do I know.

Bow Walker Guest

I've only got three different broadheads in my arsenal. Slick Tricks, Muzzy's, and Magnus Stingers.

The ones that go out with me are the Slick Tricks. I've made all my kills with them and just can't seem to leave them at home.

My heads of Choice
    Rocket Ultimate Steel

Rocket Steelhead XP
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask