Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many grizzlies are being killed?

Re: How many grizzlies are being killed?

The issue isn’t so much grizz human conflict, it’s how many elk/moose calves they eat.

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    The issue isn’t so much grizz human conflict, it’s how many elk/moose calves they eat.
    Bang on.
    Your other answer of “not enough” to the original question was also spot on.
    I know ranchers who’ve been in the heart of grizzly country for decades that never had problems like they do now. They can’t even walk out the front door without worrying about having a gun handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Chaser View Post
    Bang on.
    Your other answer of “not enough” to the original question was also spot on.
    I know ranchers who’ve been in the heart of grizzly country for decades that never had problems like they do now. They can’t even walk out the front door without worrying about having a gun handy.
    100% and I am willing to bet there are a few buried on ranches every year, not counting the ones shot by mistake by inexperienced black bear hunters

The guides and outfitters DEFINITELY are not shooting them all of the time....
    WSSBC Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    The grizzly bear hunt was ended in BC, anybody have any idea of the effect that has had on all cause mortality of grizzly bears? Hunters aren't killing them but has car/train collisions increased? Does BC even have such stats?
    ICBC seems to be a driver to some wildlife management decisions, maybe they have files on wildlife/vehicle interactions
    Often thought the info could be used as an indicator for population trends, collisions going up or down may reflect local pop number changes, for any species really
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Clayton Lamb did a good paper on road density and the impact on gbears

Proctor, M, McLellan B.M, Stenhouse, G.B, Mowat, G., Lamb CT, Boyce, M.S. 2020. Effects of roads and motorized human access on grizzly bear populations in British Columbia and Alberta, Canada.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    ICBC seems to be a driver to some wildlife management decisions, maybe they have files on wildlife/vehicle interactions
    Often thought the info could be used as an indicator for population trends, collisions going up or down may reflect local pop number changes, for any species really

I was thinking similarly
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

How many are being killed? Not enough than there has been since the closure.

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    That is the truth, and now the bears have no commercial value much like a gopher.

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    And the govt DEFINETLY isn't encouraging the bands to exercise their rights in an attempt to manage grizzly populations under the table