Thread: Mooching Reel Info

Mooching Reel Info

Anybody know anything about this Daiwa DC 375 mooching reel? Is it any good? It's probably from the 80-90s era.
    Last edited by dak0ta; 05-11-2024 at 08:08 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mooching Reel Info

Best mooching reels are the old hardy longstone, or your basic shimano 1000 or 2000. Have used lots of higher end reels, and have found the two mentioned in my post, are both reliable and proven. Never been a diawa fan

Daiwas are good gear. Depending on the vintage and use, a simple upgrade to good drag washers will get things right to start with.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

I was passed down some Daiwa reels from a late uncle. The Daiwa 7000C Silver Series I got is a great surf and shore casting reel and bullet proof. I was looking at this mooching reel, a Daiwa DC 375 with depth gauge and want to get it running again for salmon. It's in good condition. What line do you recommend and what's a good rod to pair it with? Also, how do you use it? It has an On/Off lever. Do you put it in Off when you drop the weight and line to desired depth, then switch it back to On? In the On position, it has a ratcheting noise that isn't present in Off mode. Also, do you loosen the drag way off when dropping the line, then tighten it back up at desired depth?

Last edited by dak0ta; 05-11-2024 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dak0ta View Post
    I was passed down some Daiwa reels from a late uncle. The Daiwa 7000C Silver Series I got is a great surf and shore casting reel and bullet proof. I was looking at this mooching reel, a Daiwa DC 375 with depth gauge and want to get it running again for salmon. It's in good condition. What line do you recommend and what's a good rod to pair it with? Also, how do you use it? It has an On/Off lever. Do you put it in Off when you drop the weight and line to desired depth, then switch it back to On? In the On position, it has a ratcheting noise that isn't present in Off mode. Also, do you loosen the drag way off when dropping the line, then tighten it back up at desired depth?

U
    The on / off lever is just for the ratcheting noise. I like to let out line / reel in with it off, as it can get annoying. Then once I’m trolling, flip it to the on position so you’re alerted to strikes or if you bounce bottom. I leave it off when I get a fish on too, but if you really want to advertise to everyone around that you have a fish on or like the screaming on a good run you could have it switched on.

And yes, I loosen the drag to let out line, snug it up, then play with it as needed when you’re bringing a fish in. Keep your digits out of the way of the knobs on a run, and palm the edge of the spool to add more drag as needed. You might get burnt a bit, and some battered knuckles if you forget the first part.

I’ve got a Daiwa 375 without the counter on a 10.5’ Daiwa mooching rod that my dad bought when I was a kid and he never used, it finally brought in some salmon last fall after all these years. I felt like dad was smiling down on me for those moments, especially the last morning of the season when I landed a 20 lb and a 16.5 lb chinook and lost another in between. All solo in a 12’ boat to boot.

So maybe for sentimental reasons, it’s one of my favourite rod and reel combos. I’m pretty the spinning reel that was his is a 7000 Daiwa as well. It works too.
    Last edited by landphil; 05-11-2024 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Pretend hunter.

Thanks for the tips and story. What kind of line do you put on for main and leader?

I just have 25 lb mono on mine, right to a snap swivel at the flasher.
    Pretend hunter.

Do you use the cut plug herring with the flasher? What else can be mooched effectively? I was looking at hootchies, mooching spoons and spinners, squid bait, anchovy, buzzbombs etc.