Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tanning bear hide at home or not

Re: Tanning bear hide at home or not

Quote Originally Posted by stosto View Post
    I'll let you know, as I am about to process it shortly. But the hide made into a freezer in less than 24 hrs following the kill, so I'm not worried.
    I think what happened to Harry was the hide and fur did what it’s suppose to do, insulate and prolonged fully freezing to the point where fur slipped. Not duration from kill to putting it in the freezer

Re: Tanning bear hide at home or not

Salt the hide after skinning roll inside out temporarally till you want to tan, freeze or set for a ONLY a few days if not freezing.. Make sure you kept the head and cut into it and remove all the brains. Then scape and flesh well, all the meat and fat with a dull blade. Once all that it removed, take the brains and turn into a paste and rub well onto and into the hide. let it set for a day or so then work the hide with a scaper to rid it of any left over flesh and brain material. After that is done, work the hide by working it back and forth on round object like you would drying your backside with a towel, till it is soft and plyable..
    Last edited by snowhater; 05-11-2024 at 09:22 PM.