Thread: 7-43 Elk

7-43 Elk

Hey Guys, we are thinking of heading to 7-43 on the 18th for elk. I noticed a lengthly 3pt season there in the eastern portion of the unit. My question is,,,is that portion of the unit huntable? Or is it all private and ranch land? Many units that have decent seasons have little to no access, so before I drive that far would like some insight,,thanks Brad

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 7-43 Elk

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    Hey Guys, we are thinking of heading to 7-43 on the 18th for elk. I noticed a lengthly 3pt season there in the eastern portion of the unit. My question is,,,is that portion of the unit huntable? Or is it all private and ranch land? Many units that have decent seasons have little to no access, so before I drive that far would like some insight,,thanks Brad
    Anyone? Guess Im goin for a drive. lol

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    Anyone? Guess Im goin for a drive. lol
    I haven't been in there in over 30 years, there was a very large ranch close to the halfway [west side of river] back then. We were planning a scouting trip into that MU next spring/summer to see how much it's changed.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I haven't been in there in over 30 years, there was a very large ranch close to the halfway [west side of river] back then. We were planning a scouting trip into that MU next spring/summer to see how much it's changed.
    Thanks Jack, I think Ill make the drive,,we were headed for the Sukunka, but theres a ton of industrial traffic in there still

We hunted in there for 1 week last year. Saw a few moose but nothing shoot able and absolutely no elk. I believe the elk are down along the halfway river but unless you have access to a farm it’s a no hunting zone. We met 1 rancher who was pretty blunt that only certain people hunted his ranch and it wasn’t going to be us. We went in at Pink Mountain, set up camp on the Cypress and hunted down as far as the Chowade. It was frustrating for us due to quite a few hunters and no real good sight lines to hunt. Didn’t find any fresh elk sign either.

Quote Originally Posted by redhunter View Post
    We hunted in there for 1 week last year. Saw a few moose but nothing shoot able and absolutely no elk. I believe the elk are down along the halfway river but unless you have access to a farm it’s a no hunting zone. We met 1 rancher who was pretty blunt that only certain people hunted his ranch and it wasn’t going to be us. We went in at Pink Mountain, set up camp on the Cypress and hunted down as far as the Chowade. It was frustrating for us due to quite a few hunters and no real good sight lines to hunt. Didn’t find any fresh elk sign either.
    That sucks, we were at Pink last year and it took us 5 days to find elk sign

…in other words you guys had some success there lol

Quote Originally Posted by rageous View Post
    …in other words you guys had some success there lol
    Sounds like its worth a look

I noticed the FSR Rec Site is along the river,,that should be all surrounded by crown land shouldnt it?

We went in to hunt for moose and after 4 days I wandered back down to look at elk possibilities by the river. It was all fenced ranch land with cattle from where we crossed the Halfway down to the Chowade. To the west of the ranches it’s crown land but we never saw any fresh elk sign on all the cut lines we quadded on scouting. My partners hunted moose up there years ago and that was our focus so in all fairness we never focused on the elk there. We were there 1 week at the start of October. Everyone else we saw was moose hunting and with no success while we were there. Wish I had better elk advice for you.