Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best days for October Elk

Re: Best days for October Elk

This is a Bull last year (dates are correct), I had him on cam in Spring and Summer last year. Then he vanishes and shows up days after the season closes. Noticed some sh*t on his antlers looks like he is still rubbing and raking then, but alone (maybe cruising?). Both this and last year this particular area when the rut comes on only small Bulls on my cams but the cows are there every year with new calves. I left 3 cams there too see who else comes by and will take 2 down in Oct.

Not betting on seeing him but any 6 will do for my first one. Got lots of spots now after all the running around I did this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Move buddy, and get a better job in a town that has elk near it!
    I am forsure, in the new year I am getting out of here. The Elk hunting here is tough too only heard one chuckle last year in two whole weeks of hunting, this year only the Bull I called in and another very quiet 2 chuckle at last light a ways away after me calling in an area for an hour.

See and hear about all the action some places have, I want to hunt areas like that. There are monsters where I go though, but hardly any answering or bugling I even hiked for hours at night and bugle into huge areas several times with nothing.

An absolute brute tank got smoked 2 days after I called mine in, up and over basically a little valley floor and 1 mountain away roughly 6k. I would post a pic but I don't personally know them and I got sent the pic by a friend but its huge
    Last edited by TheObserver; 09-27-2023 at 06:03 PM.

It’s the best day when it’s in your crosshairs!
    could be the last day of the season.

Poking around doing some scouting for WT yesterday. Heard a bull bugle about 50 times. Bulls are still easily call-able at this time IMO, although season is closed in some areas
    Only shoot small bulls near the road

That is a hell of a nice bull. He must live in a hiddy hole that no one hunts, or is nocturnal. I find even in a year of weak calling that the elk do still call, its just on low volume so it can only be heard within a few hundred meters.

Here is an October elk hunting story of a bull that would not come to any calls. Oct 20 iirc, last day of elk season when I lived in the EK.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...Avatar-picture
    Last edited by Husky7mm; 10-15-2023 at 09:41 AM.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    This is a Bull last year (dates are correct), I had him on cam in Spring and Summer last year. Then he vanishes and shows up days after the season closes. Noticed some sh*t on his antlers looks like he is still rubbing and raking then, but alone (maybe cruising?). Both this and last year this particular area when the rut comes on only small Bulls on my cams but the cows are there every year with new calves. I left 3 cams there too see who else comes by and will take 2 down in Oct.

Not betting on seeing him but any 6 will do for my first one. Got lots of spots now after all the running around I did this season.

Nice conditions to track that guy down, or reverse track to where he came from.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!