Thread: Grizzly

Threaded View

Re: Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by Deer_Slayer View Post
    When a bear winds you from that far away and chooses to begin a full out charge, I really doubt it is a bluff. Bears bluff when surprised...not when they wind you from over 200 or more yards. Easy to judge when you're not there. A mature boar grizzly bearing down on you is a life and death situation. Glad they were around to tell the story.
    On a few occasions I've had grizzlies come charging full out from across a valley only to veer off when they got closer and spotted me or winded me so not a full out charge. I'm not sure that i would agree a grizz "bluffs when surprised" it depends on the scenario. You come around a corner and surprise a bear on a kill or a sow with cubs the outcome is more likely a charge and attack than a bluff and usually short in duration they are in defend mode and extremely dangerous at that time. Should you come across a lone bear on a trail just walking surprising them then i may agree that a bear more often will most likely turn and depart or bluff and leave. If there is ample escape for a sow and cubs they too will usually retreat.. In any event extra caution is required especially if you surprise them.
    Last edited by stoneramhunter; 04-27-2024 at 07:20 AM.