Ok folks, here is a rather long grouse hunting question. I am new to hunting and for a first hunt in the fall I am planning on walking logging roads and adjacent clearcuts for grouse. I will stick to grouse and am not considering the possibility of deer at this point. Yes, I have completed the requisite paperwork, spent some quality range time with a .22 and 12 ga (trap) and researched the area.

My question is not weather a .22 or a 12 gauge will kill a grouse but what, in your opinion, makes for a “sporting”, “ethical” or enjoyable hunt? My first plan was to use the .22 but have recently been considering the 12 ga (having a gun that will also shoot slugs for bear defense has also been a consideration). My understanding is that if you find grouse on the roads they don’t flush or don’t fly very far. In this case, it seems reasonable to use a .22. Even though the bird is capable of flying away or flies to a nearby tree and perches, it does not seem particularly sporting to use a 12 gauge on a bird sitting in the road or in a tree. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks - Morel