Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to start when planning a hunting trip? (Im a 20+yr vegetarian for partner bday)

Re: Where to start when planning a hunting trip? (Im a 20+yr vegetarian for partner b

Here's a link to the current Hunting Regulation Synopsis. A new version will be issued this summer valid for the next 2 seasons but this will get you started & answer a lot of your questions. You will find what species you can hunt where & when. Part of the Core course test will include using the Synopsis to answer questions. The CORE course itself can be taken online, thru BCWF if not mistaken.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...tions-synopsis

If & when you harvest an animal, there will be blood....and other stuff....

It is not legal to sell wild meat in BC, so technically restaurants are not allowed to serve it. The Island Restaurant in Golden serves Elk burgers but the meat is Alberta farmed Elk, not wild. A local deli here in Vernon sells some game sausages but again, the meat will be farmed, not wild. I think Bison are also farmed in a number of places so you could feast on that.

The northwestern region of BC for hunting is Region 6 Skeena. Cariboo is south of that, Region 5. There is no General Open Season for Moose in Region 5, most likely need to apply for Limited Entry Hunt for the species there. Region 6 offers a short GOS and LEH opportunities.
    Last edited by mike31154; 05-09-2024 at 04:19 PM.

Re: Where to start when planning a hunting trip? (Im a 20+yr vegetarian for partner b

You guys are being played by some New Canadian that is just fishing for information.Just like those ☺ who were poaching bears and other game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8 white hunter View Post
    You guys are being played by some New Canadian that is just fishing for information.Just like those ☺ who were poaching bears and other game.
    your name says all it needs to say

Arrow Re: Where to start when planning a hunting trip? (Im a 20+yr vegetarian for partner b

You guys are being played
    Perhaps.
    Kind of reminded me of a particular BCWF Hunting Diva who played this game on other forums.

Benefit of doubt at this point...

Cheers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

What’s wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineLily View Post
    I will, but it doesn't mean I won't support his hobbies or interests.
    Do you have a sister?

I think it’s great that you are taking the time to give it a go. There is a restaurant on Broadway called Salmon and Bannock that has mostly game on the menu. Since it’s a “landmark” birthday, if you want to splash out a bit, Le Crocodile in downtown Van is (I haven’t been in a couple of years) absolutely spectacular food. They serve venison and duck. It’s $50-$80 per entre though, so be expecting a dinner for two with a bottle of wine and tip to be in the $400+ range.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Great you are being supportive of your partner -

Have you considered hiring a guide? For a significant event it might be worth spending the money to have an experienced person show you the ropes - Would make a successful harvest more likely and also would probably make the experience in general more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineLily View Post
    Hi All,

I am planning a milestone birthday hunting trip for my partner.
    He is excited to go into the Caribou (North Western Region).
    However, I am a long term vegetarian (20+ years, so I'm finding all the information overwhelming and I'm not sure where to start).
    I'm well aware that in the North Western Region not to hunt Cow Moose.

I just got my RPAL, and I have a CORE course coming up (he is doing it as a refresher, and me as a first timer).
    We are looking to go in either October or November.

I am also looking for a restaurant in the lower mainland or Las Vegas that does unusual meat that I can take him to for his actual birthday dinner.

Any tips, or trusted websites or resources are welcome!
    Forgive my sense of humour but I remember someone once telling me that "Vegetarian" is a loosely translated Native American word for "Cannot hunt". Do your best to prove them wrong...

you must ride the special bus

Make it special and cook him a moose roast and bear sausages. PM me and I'll give you some.
    WSSBC Life Member