Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to start when planning a hunting trip? (Im a 20+yr vegetarian for partner bday)

Question Where to start when planning a hunting trip? (Im a 20+yr vegetarian for partner bday)

Hi All,

I am planning a milestone birthday hunting trip for my partner.
    He is excited to go into the Caribou (North Western Region).
    However, I am a long term vegetarian (20+ years, so I'm finding all the information overwhelming and I'm not sure where to start).
    I'm well aware that in the North Western Region not to hunt Cow Moose.

I just got my RPAL, and I have a CORE course coming up (he is doing it as a refresher, and me as a first timer).
    We are looking to go in either October or November.

I am also looking for a restaurant in the lower mainland or Las Vegas that does unusual meat that I can take him to for his actual birthday dinner.

Any tips, or trusted websites or resources are welcome!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Where to start when planning a hunting trip? (Im a 20+yr vegetarian for partner b

Forage Vancouver is probably the closest you can get. Antler Restaurant in Toronto. Dai Due Restaurant in Austin TX, run by Jesse Griffiths.

Don't know Vegas though, haven't been in years....

As for the hunt, do your CORE and get to understand the Regs. From there, you can select species and region and go for it.

I've converted a few Vegan/Veg's to eat wild game meat, as it is sooo good when cooked properly.

Hank Shaw has a bunch of great cookbooks. Buck, Buck, Moose is the bible.

Good luck and have fun

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Re: Where to start when planning a hunting trip? (Im a 20+yr vegetarian for partner b

You may check out "The London Chef" in Victoria BC.
    Dan Hayes is a Professional Chef and does a lot of Game Meat. He is also one of the Cohosts of the TV Mini Serie "Moose Meat & Marmalade" which just concluded there last episode.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineLily View Post
    Hi All,

I am planning a milestone birthday hunting trip for my partner.
    He is excited to go into the Caribou (North Western Region).
    However, I am a long term vegetarian (20+ years, so I'm finding all the information overwhelming and I'm not sure where to start).
    I'm well aware that in the North Western Region not to hunt Cow Moose.

I just got my RPAL, and I have a CORE course coming up (he is doing it as a refresher, and me as a first timer).
    We are looking to go in either October or November.

I am also looking for a restaurant in the lower mainland or Las Vegas that does unusual meat that I can take him to for his actual birthday dinner.

Any tips, or trusted websites or resources are welcome!

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Just stick to your Veggies.

Thumbs up Re: Where to start when planning a hunting trip? (Im a 20+yr vegetarian for partner b

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    You may check out "The London Chef" in Victoria BC.
    Dan Hayes is a Professional Chef and does a lot of Game Meat. He is also one of the Cohosts of the TV Mini Series "Moose Meat & Marmalade"
    Double Down on this one!!

Cheers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

First of all, it’s fantastic to see a vegetarian with an open mind and being supportive of their partners desire to hunt. So kudos to you.

Once you guys have completed your courses, learn the regulations in full detail.

It’s kind of hard to give any specific suggestions at this point as your question is very vague. First thing you need to do is pick your desired species you wish to hunt. Once you have done that, figure out what wildlife management units are surrounding your desired hunting area and possibly a location for base camp. Once you have that general info post a thread or come back to this one with the details and I’m sure some will reach out for some help. Don’t be expecting where exactly to get the animal, but I’m sure you might get a DM or 2 with some places to check out/start.

You can also use the search bar for this site, it can be very helpful. For example if you notice a specific landmark in your desired area, just type that make in the search bar and more than likely you’ll find some general info about the area. Searching roads, lakes, close towns, and management units can all be helpful.

Cheers and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8 white hunter View Post
    Just stick to your Veggies.
    I will, but it doesn't mean I won't support his hobbies or interests.

That would make sense, I started looking and googling and I was so overwhelmed by all of the information.
    Once I've done the course I'll delve back in.

A great tool to have is the iHunter app. It provides you all the regulations, open seasons and management units in the province. As well as letting you know private land, crown land and First Nations land ect. Pay a little bit for the premium so you can use all the layers, it’s well worth the investment.

You can also use to it save waypoints on the maps. Like a potential camp spot, places to look for animals, places you’ve seen sign/animals ect ect. There are tutorials on YouTube to make the most of the app.

I use a combination of ihunter and google earth, as well as backroad mapbooks to plan my hunts. There are many great tools out there but those are just a few.

What kind of trip are you planning? Individual day trips? Multi day? Camping?

Are you guys experienced outdoors people? Hiking? Tenting?

I enjoy the outdoors and hunting is kind of secondary. Any trip I plan is meant to get out for enjoyment and if I happen to get an animal than that’s a bonus.

Keep firing some questions out and we’ll see if we can get you pointed in the right direction. It’s really not complicated once you narrow down a species and where you want to go.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.