Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goat information, first hunt

Re: Goat information, first hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Bullreaper View Post
    Groups of goats are usually Nannie’s and kids, or young billies. Keyword, USUALLY. I shot my last goat on October 15th a couple years ago, he was in a group of 6 Billie’s. He was a tad over 10” on both sides, scored 49 6/8 and was 9 years old. So make sure you take a good look at any goats you see. The obvious curvature of the horns all the way thru. Vs curved at the tops for Nannie’s. Take a close look at the bases, if they look like they are almost touching, probably worth a closer look. I’ve found if you find a billy that has a yellow tint to his hide, probably worth a closer look. Good luck.
    Thats a nice EK goat if taken there, must have good mass and hold it well. I like last couple weeks of season but also risk the chance of weather keeping you out.

Different areas will have different "trophies"

9" goat in region 5 is a bad ass tanker.
    9" goat in region 6 is a good goat

Thanks for the replies and the tips guys, I will look into the books recommended and have started watching the spikecamp video sent

Me and my buddy stay in top shape year round we are always out scaling mountains (though im sure itll still be an as.s kicker lol) hes got lots of experience running into Goats but he hasnt actually hunted them either
    Last edited by TheObserver; 05-08-2024 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    A few webinars put out by rmga and spikecamp that might be helpful, lots of good info discussed in them.

scouting early season, will change a lot by October. Come October billys will start to move, if you see them during the summer / early season, good chance they’ll be moved on in October.

If you have any billy vs nanny questions, feel free to holler. If your on IG by chance, I have a pile of content over there that may help. Always happy to forward some handfuls of photos for your own knowledge and testing if you like.

Hoping to get out this weekend to pull goat cams, and maybe see a new kid or two.
    I'll check it out ive started watching one of their vids sent by warnniklz.

I figured as much, moved on as in starting to check out females and competition/pre rut, or more of weather and feed changing?

No insta.

Nice!! Hopin to get up to some Elk cams been soakin all year in the next week or two. Such little time and weekends between when the snow melts and season opening to get up high and check new spots out, no time to waste this summer lol
    Last edited by TheObserver; 05-08-2024 at 05:53 AM.

Ive never hunted them, but I’ve seen lots and spent hours staring at them through glass. I watched a group of three come down a cliff once right at dusk and fed on some lush greenery past dark and were nowhere to be found come morning. A few times I’ve seen them tuck just out of site on flatter alpine spots and sun themselves behind a knob or something in somewhat plain view but hidden from most places, if that makes sense. I ran into this spot on a low slope of shaly stuff where they had dug little beds that were easy to see and they sat there sunning themselves in the afternoon, these would have all been easy shooters but they screwed off up a cliff face later on in the day. I’ve been a couple hundred yards from them dipping down off of one cliff to cross a ravine and back up the other side.

The ones I’ve seen move around a lot, but they all seem to come down at some point to feed. I’m sure they can stay up high for days and move a long ways.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I watched these guys feed on the opposite side of the treeline either earlier that day or the day before and then we startled each other as I was skirting along this cliff face.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I strongly recommend coming down the same route you ascended on.