Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Study finds wolf culls working for Caribou recovery

Study finds wolf culls working for Caribou recovery

The findings from this study are not what surprise me. What's really surprising is that the media ran with it and actually shared the news, given all the sensitivity around wolf culls.

Study shows caribou herds in B.C., Alberta growing from wolf culls | Vancouver Sun

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Study finds wolf culls working for Caribou recovery

Good news, hopefully they reduce the cougars as need too. In the EK they transplanted mt caribou and the cougars killed them all before the wolves could.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Good news, hopefully they reduce the cougars as need too. In the EK they transplanted mt caribou and the cougars killed them all before the wolves could.
    the BCWF southern interior mule deer project data would support that. It was eye opening to me as well. in the link below, you will see the kill rates by predator on Mule deer during a six month period:

Update on the Southern Interior Mule Deer Project | B.C. Wildlife Federation (bcwf.bc.ca)

using this data and applying what they learned from the wolf cull, reducing cougar populations in sensitive areas would actually have a far greater impact in terms of caribou saved per animal.

I also remember an interview where Donnie Vincent (I think) observed a cougar that was getting harassed by a wolf pack that simply followed it around and tried to run it off its kill. the Cougar was so efficient at killing that it would kill one deer and leave it for the wolves, just so it could kill a second to have to itself without getting harassed by the pack.

incredible how efficient they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    cougar numbers are already down in the EK and are not a predation issue in most areas. should learn a bit more about the transplanted caribou for one they did not stay in the areas that they wanted them to
    one even died in transit. Only thing for sure they were all alive and fine before they were moved.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5 View Post
    the BCWF southern interior mule deer project data would support that. It was eye opening to me as well. in the link below, you will see the kill rates by predator on Mule deer during a six month period:

Update on the Southern Interior Mule Deer Project | B.C. Wildlife Federation (bcwf.bc.ca)

using this data and applying what they learned from the wolf cull, reducing cougar populations in sensitive areas would actually have a far greater impact in terms of caribou saved per animal.

I also remember an interview where Donnie Vincent (I think) observed a cougar that was getting harassed by a wolf pack that simply followed it around and tried to run it off its kill. the Cougar was so efficient at killing that it would kill one deer and leave it for the wolves, just so it could kill a second to have to itself without getting harassed by the pack.

double post........

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5 View Post

Wolves have been following an taking cat kills and harrasing them for ever. cats arent as efficient as one may think, get out and follow them around for awhile and one would see, its very tough for them to survive out there.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    cougar numbers are already down in the EK and are not a predation issue in most areas. should learn a bit more about the transplanted caribou for one they did not stay in the areas that they wanted them to
    one even died in transit. Only thing for sure they were all alive and fine before they were moved.
    Yawn….. when they located the mt caribou to the purcell range the EK was crawling with cougars and wolves where on a steep rise. It was nothing to go out and tree multiple cats a day, problem was there were too many cougar hunters, so anything with even a bit of size was dead. The rest just got chased around every day, and had to keep killing anything they could find as they all got chased off their kills everyday. It was nothing to see truck after truck with dog boxes at tim hortins in the wee hours of the morning in Cranbrook any day of the week, but especially weekends. Those guys were late BTW, someone was already sitting on the fresh tracks since 3 am….and you know this. Who needed to buy hounds, many were free, everyone and their dog had dogs? That how it was there a dozen years ago when the transplant happened and mule deer, and some wt areas were already in the tank.

I know thats changed big time….. when people realize all the game were getting ate by claw and fang they took it upon themselves to manage the situation. End of story. From what I hear it worked!!

10-15 years of the same old tripes, oh the poor cougars!

Ya wants some big cats LBM, come to northern Alberta, a few 200-220 lbs cats killed every year? Next to no one has hounds. Too many wolves. Big cats!!
    226lbs iirc
    [url=https://postimages.org/]
    Last edited by Husky7mm; 05-06-2024 at 08:54 PM.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Never had cougars on my cams till I moved to NW AB , some big ones too.

Lbm…..how many cats were killed in the Pickering hills a few yrs back??

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    Lbm…..how many cats were killed in the Pickering hills a few yrs back??
    Dont no you can contact ministry and ask for harvest data report.