Thread: Restoration of Grizzly Bears in Northern Cascades (Washington)

Hybrid View

Re: Restoration of Grizzly Bears in Northern Cascades (Washington)

I never hunted grizzly bears but I could see the value in the trophy hunts. Leaving those old boars to just die and rot isn't any better than having them end up on someone's wall. Since the ban they have become nothing more than worthless and dangerous vermin, they hold no commercial value for anyone but some bear viewing companies. I imagine there are a lot just shot and left these days, just like a ground hog.

2. Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I imagine there are a lot just shot and left these days, just like a ground hog.
    One would hope there aren’t “a lot” shot these days, since it is illegal. That said, if my life or that of a companion is at stake, I would not hesitate to shoot any animal, be it legal currently or not. I think that goes for 99% of us.

The use of the word “trophy” needs to end, unless we are talking about car races or football championships. As hunters, we need to be responsible for, and make best use of any animal we take. I HAVE eaten Grizzly before (with a group of Mt Currie band members I knew back in the day), and my somewhat hazy recollection of it was that it was reminiscent of dark turkey meat. I’m not sure which cut I had, but it was very tasty meat. I have never shied away from trying rare and exotic meat when given the opportunity, and Grizzly is definitely one I would have again. Leaving that much meat to rot in the woods should never be legal in my opinion. We might not have nearly as many people trying to ban this or that if all useful parts of the animal are taken.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    The use of the word “trophy” needs to end, unless we are talking about car races or football championships.
    Is it too late to start a campaign to call them 'participation awards', which is more factual and possibly universal
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    Is it too late to start a campaign to call them 'participation awards', which is more factual and possibly universal
    It would probably help with acceptance

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    One would hope there aren’t “a lot” shot these days, since it is illegal. That said, if my life or that of a companion is at stake, I would not hesitate to shoot any animal, be it legal currently or not. I think that goes for 99% of us.

The use of the word “trophy” needs to end, unless we are talking about car races or football championships. As hunters, we need to be responsible for, and make best use of any animal we take. I HAVE eaten Grizzly before (with a group of Mt Currie band members I knew back in the day), and my somewhat hazy recollection of it was that it was reminiscent of dark turkey meat. I’m not sure which cut I had, but it was very tasty meat. I have never shied away from trying rare and exotic meat when given the opportunity, and Grizzly is definitely one I would have again. Leaving that much meat to rot in the woods should never be legal in my opinion. We might not have nearly as many people trying to ban this or that if all useful parts of the animal are taken.
    Curious on your thoughts about Coyotes and Wolves? Same thing, you would take all the meat with you from the bush?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    Curious on your thoughts about Coyotes and Wolves? Same thing, you would take all the meat with you from the bush?
    Well, I don’t hunt preds, so it’s a moot point for me. I hunt for food, and like venison and elk. I don’t have time to hunt things I don’t want to eat. I know people eat cougar, and Rinella has eaten coyote. The asians like to eat dogs, so maybe they are good eats?