Quote Originally Posted by nightswhisper View Post
Thank you all for the great replies.

A little about myself:

I am in my 30s and in good shape. I'm an avid hiker, drive a Wrangler, and spend a tremendous amount of time outdoors. I'm an excellent shot (Competitive trap) with a shotgun but, most importantly, an excellent cook with a very compact and robust mobile kitchen.

One of the reasons for me to hunt is that I'm just tired of the way animals are treated and bred for food and want a more humane way of harvesting meat. Plus, I make a mean peking duck and it's f*cking delicious.

I'm not really interested in large game - It's kind of a pain to deal with and most large game don't taste good, the exception being deer and boar, both of which I enjoy cooking quite a bit.

In the unlikely event anyone's in the Lower Mainland Area wouldn't mind my tagging along or mentoring me, I'd appreciate it very much and pay you back in good food and liquor.

We all hunt for different reasons - I love cooking and I love the outdoors. Working with fresh and healthy ingredients amidst beautiful nature just seems like the perfect combo.
Your motivations mirror mine. I love to eat great food, and buying ethically raised organic meat is very expensive.

If you’ve eaten bad tasting big game, it is 99% due to the way the animal was handled. The best venison I’ve ever had (by far) was a whitetail I took with a bow on my own property. I have lots of fruit and chestnut trees, and that shows in the flavour. I also took very good care of the animal after it was down. As others have mentioned, watch MeatEater and read Steven Rinellas books. The man is very articulate, interesting and knows how to cook wild meat incredibly well.