Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Sheep

Re: Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    Holy crab Observer i doent even know most of the names of those exercises lol. but im sure they are good
    Hahaha it sounds complicated but its really actually simple, mostly compound exercises, it works. Everything except for legs is actually all bodyweight

I did about 10 kms and 250 meters elevation w/40 lbs and yesterday. Cumulative for the year so far is about 130 kms (weighted hikes) and about 4600 meters elevation. I'm a bit behind where I was last year - I racked up 400 kms and 12000 kms elevation before I hit the mountains. I won't get there this year - injury and shortage of steep mountains where I live now. I'll stick with 40lbs in the pack until the end of May, add another 5 in June for a few weeks and then top out and stay at 50 in July. I'll do a full pack (everything I'll be taking on my hunt) a couple of times in July. Everything I'm carrying in my pack now is what I'll be bringing on my hunt, in other words no sandbags or weightlifting plates. I find that makes for a much more realistic fit. Mixing in lots of road bike rides also.

Quote Originally Posted by cuervosail View Post
    I did about 10 kms and 250 meters elevation w/40 lbs and yesterday. Cumulative for the year so far is about 130 kms (weighted hikes) and about 4600 meters elevation. I'm a bit behind where I was last year - I racked up 400 kms and 12000 kms elevation before I hit the mountains. I won't get there this year - injury and shortage of steep mountains where I live now. I'll stick with 40lbs in the pack until the end of May, add another 5 in June for a few weeks and then top out and stay at 50 in July. I'll do a full pack (everything I'll be taking on my hunt) a couple of times in July. Everything I'm carrying in my pack now is what I'll be bringing on my hunt, in other words no sandbags or weightlifting plates. I find that makes for a much more realistic fit. Mixing in lots of road bike rides also.
    i defiantly agree with loading the pack with what you are actually bringing. im uping the distance tommorow but not on steep inclines yet . that i will do 2 times a week starting this weekend if i get into princeton.

Getting stronger (not bodybuilding) definitely makes a difference for backpacking or anything strenuous. As I get older I spend a lot more time improving strength and power, it has made a very noticeable difference the last few years sheep hunting. I do compound excercises using barbell and kettlebells, all starting from the floor. Deadlifts, zercher squats, kettlebell front squats, presses. Kettlebell swings, cleans, snatches, presses, Turkish getups. As sheep season gets closer I add a lot more walks with pack on.

I’ll add this.
    I’ve found that if a person stays active and in decent shape all year round as part of a lifestyle. Then the biggest improvement to heavy backpacking ability, is using the winter season to get stronger and more powerful. It makes the body more stable, more efficient in movement and more resilient. Then get more serious about training with a pack closer to go time.
    I find it more effective than wearing a pack for long periods during the year. Just my experience.

I also find as I get older (mid 50’s), that I get more benefit from more frequent workouts but shorter duration and less involved. I try to fit something in as many days of the week as I can.
    eg, -short warm up and 20-30 mins of kettlebell snatch repeats.
    Instead of trying to fit too much into every workout and stretching them to 1.5 + hours, then taking a day or two off. That might be better for young men.

The “use it or lose it” saying really starts to make sense as you age.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 05-10-2024 at 09:51 AM.

Exercises that improve explosiveness are good too (snatchs and cleans being two examples). Powerful legs are definitely important, thats why I do them twice a week weighted and then hiking every weekend

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Exercises that improve explosiveness are good too (snatchs and cleans being two examples). Powerful legs are definitely important, thats why I do them twice a week weighted and then hiking every weekend
    Yes, that’s power training.
    The bulk of the lean muscle mass we lose as we get older is type 2 fast twitch muscle fiber. Type 1 fiber is easier to maintain with resistance training, think “old man strength”.
    But to maintain as much type 2 fibers for as long as possible requires power training. Olympic lifts, kettlebell ballistics, sprinting, etc.
    Olympic lifts are way too technical (therefore risky) for some of us, including me. So kettlebell ballistics and sprinting are perfect.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 05-10-2024 at 11:50 AM.

I had the pleasure of guiding Guy and Ike, and then Mike and Guy on caribou hunts in the NWT. Guy arrowed a great bull that, at the time, was #5 in Pope and Young's record book for Central Barrengound Caribou. It's now been bumped down to #8.